Lay Counsellors at a non-governmental Organization 5 slots
Neem Foundation a non-governmental, peace-building and conflict prevention organisation is recruiting to fill the position below:
POSITION : Lay Counsellor
Perform basic counselling and/or educational activities to patients, families, communities, NGO staff, teachers, other counsellors in order to improve the mental health condition of the patient. Discuss the treatment of problems with clients.
- Provides psychological assessment, testing and evaluation, referral, consultation, programme planning, chemical dependency counselling/education, prevention service/activities, individual, couples, group and family therapy.
- Interact with clients to provide assessment, testing, diagnosis treatment, case management, follow up and treatment planning, with physicians to provide consultation.
- Collaborates and cooperates in a professional manner with co-workers, other departments and other agencies in order to assure effective continuity of care and services.
- Prepares and maintains mental health notes and narrative reports of mental health activities (in the appropriate charting format).
- Maintain clients’ records, as part of the Medical records system and follows policies of records and maintenance of client confidentiality.
- Provides a basic range of psychological services to clients.
- Consults with other professionals, regarding the evaluation and treatment of clients.
- Observes strict confidentiality and privacy of clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University Degree in any field, Masters Degree in Psychiatry is an added advantage.
- Able to participate in evaluation, diagnosis, individual, group and family psychotherapy, crisis intervention, consultation, prevention and research such as would be obtained in a doctoral programme in psychology and in a clinical internship practice.
- Ability to communicate with children of all ages.
- High degree of skill in the psychological assessment and evaluation of people.
- Previous training or experience with cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is an added advantage.
- Professional, expert knowledge of psychological theories, principles.
- English Language (Fluent) and Basic understanding of Hausa language
- Must have strong interest in clinical psychology; working with children, helping people rebuild their lives and work towards the development of Borno State.
Profile of Behaviour:
- Confident, attention to detail, independent judgment, self-starter, reliable, team-player, friendly, flexible, disciplined, adaptable, numerate
- Practical experience working with victims/ survivors of insurgency.
- Academic or work experience in Psychology
- Hausa speaker