The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium.
The Soybean Scientist will undertake the following activities:
• Strengthen soybean production technology testing and delivery platforms in Nigeria for effective capacity building and soybean technology delivery.
• Develop a sustainable soybean seed system. Intensify community based seed systems through development of input supply chain and delivery systems
• Create awareness amongst farmers on the advantages of planting larger areas of soybean in mono and strip cropping within the maize Innovation platforms.
• Enhance the usage of good agronomic practices for soybean production including mechanization and the use of Rhizobium inoculum. Facilitate partnership for dissemination campaign and sustainable supply of inoculants (NoduMax) and P-fertilizer.
• Facilitate the linkage of actors in the soybean value chain and develop capacity of partners working on soybean value chain.
• Expand the utilization of soybean in Nigerian households. Facilitate the use of pre- and post-harvest labour saving tools for higher net profit from soybean production and processing.
• Media events and publicity for popularization of improved soybean varieties and use of inoculant (NoduMax)
• Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
Qualification and Experience
The candidate should have a Post graduate degree (MSc or PhD) in Soybean breeding, Agronomy or a closely related field from a recognized University and more than 7 years’ experience in soybean research.
• Applied knowledge in production of seeds of maize, cowpeas, and soybean varieties.
• Experience in field experimentation, trial management and quality control of improved seeds as well as familiarity in variety release procedures and seed regulations are highly preferred.
• Experience in working with the informal and formal seed sector in dissemination of improved cultivars.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English with good working knowledge of French preferred.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural setting and to interact with scientists and staff working in multi-disciplinary research areas.
• Track record of publications in peer reviewed journals.
• Strong innovation, communication and organizational skills as well as ability to teach.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package to IITA website by clicking here to apply online.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.