The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The institution was conceived as Africa’s first Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a world-class career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent’s critical social and economic problems.
The University offers an American – style education modelled after the curriculum of American universities with corresponding approaches to teaching and students assessment. The first entering class of 124 students and 20 professors was enrolled in September 2005. In ten years, AUN is fast becoming a model for other universities in Nigeria and West Africa.
Position: Director Facilities Management
AUN is seeking for a permanent Director of Facilities Management. This position is a local one and opens to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeri
Department: Facilities Management
Opening Date: 11th June, 2015
Closing Date: 10th July, 2015
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Director Facilities Management shall control and supervise the day to day activities of the facilities management staff and contractors, in their duties to keep the university‘s properties in a safe and comfortable condition. The duties shall include but not limited to interviewing, hiring, and training facilities management employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems. Checks / monitors the use and inventories of spare parts, maintenance supplies, and equipment and the reordering process when necessary. Approve specifications for procurement supplies, equipment and services related to the facilities management department alongside the purchase orders to finance department in accordance with the university’s policies and procedures.
DETAILED LISTING OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organizes, establishes and implements preventative maintenance programs.
- Oversees 24-hour emergency maintenance on-call rotation as assigned by the Assistant Director, including evening, weekends and holidays.
- Periodically inspects units, common areas and building systems around the University.
- Monitors the use and inventories of spare parts, maintenance supplies, and equipment and initiates reordering.
- Creates a positive image/relationship with existing residents, prospective residents, office management and third party vendor/contractors.
- Oversees training programmes for staff.
- Establishes and oversees the computerized maintenance management system for tracking work orders, spare parts, and maintenance history of plant equipment.
- Analyzes the prepared reports and data, makes recommendations for improving maintenance operations and solving maintenance-related problems.
- Ensures that maintenance technicians are adequately trained, equipped, and motivated so that the maintenance program can be accomplished in a safe, timely, and cost-effective manner.
- Assists in development and monitors all maintenance and operations budgets for efficient use of university funds.
- Oversees budget expenditures.
- Coordinates facilities management supervisor’s activity.
- Checks approved invoices by the Assistant Director, for payment, bidding of all vendor contracts.
- Develop training programs for staff.
- Supervises day to day activities of the facilities management staff and contractors in their duties to keep in a safe, attractive and comfortable condition the university’s properties.
- Communicates regularly with the Assistant Director, all maintenance technicians, both individually and as a group, to ensure good two-way communication concerning maintenance issues.
- Assists with hiring of Facilities Management personnel.
- Conducts employee performance reviews based on job descriptions to determine competency, knowledge, and contribution of the maintenance technicians.
- Reviews the operation of works & maintenance equipments and systems constantly, to minimize unplanned downtime, anticipates solve problems in a timely manner, and to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Initiates and carries out projects that improve efficiency and/or reduce operating costs.
- Tracks, analyzes and improves key maintenance parameters such as asset utilization, maintenance cost, PM compliance, schedule compliance, etc.
- Oversees safety, health, and environmental policies and procedures.
- Develops periodic reports on effectiveness of maintenance, warehouse/deliver, and other operations functions.
- Studies alternative methods for delivery of services and reports on feasibility for university application.
- Plans and directs inventory control program for equipment, parts and supplies.
- Maintain safety standards for department staff by developing and communicating procedures to conform to federal, state and insurance regulations.
- Respond to after-hours calls as needed.
- Shall perform any other duty as assigned by the supervisor.
- Directs, maintains, and enforces the safety program for the facilities management department; reviews safety records to uphold standards of maximum safety for all maintenance technicians.
- Communicates directly with the operations department to coordinate maintenance and repair work in process areas.
Requirements for the position:
- Ability to coordinate departmental functions, to achieve university goals.
- Ability to interpret and apply university’ policies and administrative procedures.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Occasional prolonged and irregular hours.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and 6 years relevant experience.
- Ability to manage personnel and budgets.
- At least three years of successful supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of basic principles of maintenance and operations.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Open to new ideas and adaptable to changing technology.
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- Ability to compile and analyze data
- Willingness to be a member of a dedicated team
- Demonstrate knowledge and proficiency in working with computers and other types of technology
- Maintain positive attitude when dealing with customer
Description of Benefits:
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
How to Apply
Suitably qualified candidates should submit their resumes, cover letters and references email@example.com before the closing date of this publication. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AUN is an equal-opportunity and non-discriminatory employer. For more information on AUN, please visit www.aun.edu.ng
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed