The Human Resources (HR) Unit is mandated to focus on strategic issues such as, capacity development, career repositioning and mentoring of staff. The HR unit handles recruitment, selections, placements, staff career development and performance management. Addittionaly, the Unit is responsible for staff learning, training and development. The unit supports other UN agencies (UNIFEM, UNAIDS, UNFPA, UNITAR, UNDSS, UNIC, UNIDO, UNODC, UNIDO, UNCTAD, IFAD, UNEP, UNOV and UN HABITAT) in managing their HR issues.
Position: Executive Assistant
Executive Associate to RR/RC
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the RR/RC, the Executive Associate to RR/RC ensures effective and efficient functioning of the RR/RC office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made. The Executive Associate promotes a client-oriented approach and promotes the image of UN/UNDP as an effective contributor to the development of the country. The Executive Associate also supports the RR/RC in his capacity as Humanitarian Coordinator
The Executive Associate to RR/RC works in close collaboration with UNDP staff, UN Resident Coordinator’s Office, United Nations Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA), UN Agencies, national authorities, and UNDP HQs staff to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, agendas, directives on behalf of the RR/RC.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the RR/RC office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Coordination and maintenance of the RR/RC’s calendar, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
- Maintenance of protocol procedures and facilitation of visiting missions, delegations and dignitaries and formal preparation of official functions.
- Coordinate and interface with relevant units when assisting the RR/RC in his functions to ensure a sound information sharing system in place.
- Preparation of high quality briefing materials for supervisor for appointments, meetings, missions.
- Preparation of informal translations.
- Management of RR/RC missions and representation schedule.
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists.
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of RR/RC for his/her signature and making follow-up when required.
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the RR/RC office.
Ensures provision of effective communications support to the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support strategic partnerships with peers and other key contacts in the various arms of Government, diplomatic corps, donor community, civil society, UN agencies and international organizations.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system.
- Provide support with the information flow in the office, follow up on circulation files.
- Facilitation of information sharing between UNCT and the UN Coordination Office
- Liaison person between the staff and the office of the RR/RC, on the one hand, and on the other hand, between the Office of the RR/RC and the wide range of partners in the field and outside the country
- Review and screen incoming correspondence for the RR/RC’s attention and prioritize documents according to action required; review and edit outgoing correspondence for the RR/RC signature; ensure quality control, substance, sensitivity of issues, and that they are prepared according to UN standards
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to RR/RC..
- Support to organization of advocacy events if required
Ensures provision of effective administrative support to the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Manage day to day operations of the RR/RCs office; convey to staff directives and information from the RR/RC; participate in and drafts minutes of meeting and ensure that actions agreed upon are taken by the concerned staff
- Support RR/RCs participation in country office activities by monitoring and managing the RR/RCs participation in country office
- Make arrangements for official travel of the RR/RC, communicates with meeting organizers/country office on logistic; set itinerary, prepare travel request, follow up on the authorization, obtain clearances, visas, tickets necessary for travel.
- Provide other administrative support in the RR/RC (i.e budget check and process requisitions in ATLAS).
- Support to prepare briefs in response to requests for information by UNDP and other relevant agencies;
- Support and advice visiting missions’ briefings and debriefings missions
- Brief and train junior staff as required
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of specialized trainings for secretaries.
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination, administration and protocol issues.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the RR/RC office. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the RR/RC office and promotes the image of UN/UNDP as an effective contributor to the development of the country. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
- Maintains databases
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized secretarial training. University Degree in social sciences, business administration or related field would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 7 years of progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
How to Apply:
Interested Candidates should apply online through the website by clicking here. The system will prompt you to upload a CV on the next page. Please note that instead of a CV you're required to download the UNDP Personnel History Form (P11) from the following link http://sas.undp.org/Documents/P11_Personal_history_form.doc Complete it and upload it along with your educational certificate and your last 3 Performance Evaluation Reports as one document..Applications without a fully completed P11 form, educational certificate and last 3 Performance Reports will not be considered. .
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). Candidates will be required to meet the requirements of Article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter as well as the requirements of the position. The United Nations is committed to the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for all its human resources, including but not limited to respect for international human rights and humanitarian law. Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to whether they have committed, or are alleged to have committed criminal offences and/or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicant's bank accounts.
The UN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Only applicants that are shortlisted will be contacted.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed