Jhpiego, an Affiliate of Johns Hopkins University - Maternal Child Survival Program (MCSP), a global USAID-funded project with the purpose of Ending Preventable Cause of Death (EPCD), is conducting a two-phase Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health (ASRH) study in Kogi and Ebonyi states, Nigeria. This includes (1) formative research to understand the sexual and reproductive health (SRH) needs of adolescent mothers in Ebonyi and Kogi states of Nigeria and the gaps in the current system, then (2) an implementation research study to evaluate the feasibility, acceptability, and effectiveness of a package of interventions designed to address the identified gaps. We will conduct a qualitative, cross-sectional, descriptive study using focus group discussions (FGD5) and in-depth interviews (lDls).
POSITION : Research Assistant
Slot: 6 slots each state ( Ebonyi and Kogi)
Duration: 4 - 6 Weeks
- This position reports to the Program Manager and will work closely with the Monitoring Evaluation & Research team and Program Officers to ensure that the Study results inform whether group care is a viable strategy to improve the quality and acceptability of ANC and increase retention in care through pregnancy, childbirth, and the postnatal period.
- Attend week long training session on ASRH study data collection and use of ComrnCare Dimagi.
- Support the Research study team in orienting and training youth groups and other stakeholders (CHEWS
- CHW5) in the community on how to recruit volunteers in a non-pressuring or coercive way using the voucher System,
- Participates in recruitment of adolescents through respondent-driven sampling and a voucher system.
- Conduct selection and screening of recruited participants using specified selection criteria and obtaining consent from selected participants
- Transfer initial screening information from participants to Commcare via project provided tablet
- Create consent logs and group cohort logs: share group cohort logs with providers: update program officers weekly with enrollment numbers
- Conduct qualitative data collection (FGD5 and lDls) to all consented study subjects at the time of consent CommCare and audio recording
- Track study subjects to participate in group discussions at appropriate times: record if subjects move out of Study area and/or are lost to follow up
- Arrange meeting time and place in consultation with health facility managers
- Support Focused group discussion in their respective areas as requested by the research team
- Carryout data collection, data entry and data quality procedures as outlined in relevant project SOPs.
- Ensure safe custody of equipment supplied for the study
- Keep accurate records of consent forms and other study related documents.
- Advise the research team on any ethical issues that may arise during the period of engagement in the study With the supervisor, set targets and work out timesheet of activities conducted.
- Write and submit a weekly report of activities conducted to the supervisor.
- A degree in Sociology, Health Sciences Research or Biostatistics, Nursing, Public Health is desirable. Master in Public Health, Biostatistics or sociology is an added advantage.
- Experience in qualitative research methods and publication track record are desirable.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are critical.
- Good spoken and written English.
- Good spoken and written of at least 3 of Ibo, Igala, Yoruba, Pidgin is desirable.
- Sensitivity to sociocultural and religious differences is expected.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines at short notice.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Competence with data analysis software including Atlas,ti is desirable.
- Residence in Ebonyi and Kogi States will be a strong advantage.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an Application letter and a CV as one single word document to: email@example.com The title/subject of your email and application should be the position of what you have applied for.
- Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview.
- Any successful candidate will be subject to a pro-employment background investigation.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed