Vacancy for Senior Project Officer at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Project Officer - Using Airwaves for Stability in the Lake Chad Basin (UAS - LCB) Project
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full-time, Regular
Supervisory Responsibility: Projects Assistant.
Reports Directly to: North East Conflict Management Programs Manager.
Works Directly With: Head of Office, MEL, Finance, Program and Operation teams.
Program / Department Summary
- The “Using Airwaves for Stability in the Lake Chad Basin” (UAS – LCB) Project is aimed to support selected radio stations with programs in Kanuri and other languages generally spoken within the Lake Chad Basin
- The support would include coordination to produce and air news, current affairs and special content programming to increase understanding of, and support for, the de-radicalization, rehabilitation and reintegration of current and former members of violent extremist groups.
- This project will result in reduced support for violence, greater openness to reintegrating returning ex-combatants into communities and greater community agency to drive their futures with accurate, credible information.
General Position Summary
- The UAS-LCB Senior Project Officer is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the project including close cooperation with the radio staff to ensure delivery of all project results
- The Senior Project Officer will work closely with the NE-CMS Manager, Head of Office, and support staff (including finance, operations, and administration) to ensure that activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality. UAS-LCB Project Manager reports directly to the Director of NE Programs.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Oversee the full program cycle for project activities: start-up, implementation, and close-out of the project;
- Develop activity workplans and manage day-to-day activity implementation;
- Ensure that program implementation meets targets, and is carried out in line with best practices;
- Establish strong working relationships with radio stations to jointly develop and implement strategies to achieve maximum impact of the project;
- Communicate regularly with the team of researchers on the design and implementation of the radio messaging impact evaluation, provide all needed support;
- Liaise with government officials to organize and facilitate policy dialogues to discuss the finding of the research and incorporating into strategic communication plans;
- Mobilize government officials for strategic communication workshops, identify consultants to deliver the trainings, and work with them to ensure that the curriculum is in line with the project and participants’ needs;
- Set up and maintain effective program reporting, and monitoring and evaluation systems (to track, analyze and report on results) for both internal and external use;
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate;
- Ensure program filing system is in place, adheres to internal and donor regulation and filing is regularly maintained;
- Adhere to all MC policies related to security, operations and transport/ logistics information related to programming.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with all donor and Mercy Corps regulations;
- Proactive follow-up on reconciliation of project performance data from radio stations;
- Oversee the budget spending and project monthly cash flow.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its mission;
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in Development Studies, Social Sciences, Statistics or relevant field, with a strong foundation in monitoring and evaluation.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working on development, implementation, administration and compliance of a field-based international development or humanitarian program; specifically in governance, strategic communications and/or peacebuilding/countering violent extremism (CVE).
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public.
- Strong experience with running assessments, monitoring and evaluation and other learning efforts required.
- Experience designing and implementing research initiatives is desirable.
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing.
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience working in North East Nigeria preferred.
- Fluency in written and verbal English required.
- Fluent oral communication skills in Hausa and Kanuri required.
- Must be able to work independently and show initiative. Strong leadership, communication, and management skills are essential
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
20th June, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send not more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements and location to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed