Protection Associate (Abuja) at the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
ABUJA , FCT ,
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Associate
Position Number: 10023784
Location: FCT Abuja
Grade: GS - 6
Duration of Contract: 1 Year
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Context, Duties and Responsibilities
- The Protection Associate reports to the Associate Protection Officer. He/she will monitor protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards and provides functional protection support to information management and programme staff.
- The incumbent will be expected to coordinate quality, timely and effective protection responses to the needs of populations of concern and identify opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and integrate protection safeguards in operational responses in all sectors.
- He/she will contribute to designing a comprehensive protection strategy and liaises externally with authorities and partners on protection doctrine and policy as guided by the supervisor.
- The Protection Associate will also ensure that persons of concern are involved in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems.
- To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
The incumbent will have the following responsibilities:
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment.
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Assist in providing comments on existing and draft legislation related to persons of concern.
- Provide advice on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Assist in conducting eligibility and status determination for persons of concern.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Manage individual protection cases including those on SGBV and child protection. Monitor, and intervene in cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for the largest possible number of persons of concern through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Contribute to effective information management through the provision of disaggregated data on populations of concern and their problems.
- Participate in initiatives to capacitate authorities, relevant institutions and NGOs to strengthen national protection related legislation and procedures.
- Perform any other related functions as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of Secondary School. Additional certificate/training in International Law, Political Science or related field is required.
- Minimum 6 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Completed Protection Learning Programme.
- Completion of the UNHCR Learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position
- Good computer skills (in MS office)
Application Closing Date
2nd October, 2018 (Midnight)
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed