Sparc Project Support Community Volunteers at Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO)
Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO), is the world's leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Sparc Project Support Community Volunteer
Location: Madagali, Gulak, Michika, Adamawa
Start Date: 17th February 2020
- The role holder will serve as a community mobilizer/facilitator in line with the safe peace and resilience Project.
- S/he will also contribute in ensuring the establishment of resilience communities as well as supporting in capacity building in line with VSO values and objectives.
- Support in mentoring school children and out of school children.
- Support peer to peer learning among children
- Keep and report weekly records of use of activities and pupil’s learning progress in line with aims and objectives of project
- Maintain and document records, case studies and success stories in- line with the project.
- Notify appropriate line manager on any relevant information such as requisition, progress and challenges.
- Ensure that all work in community reflects the distinctive ethos of VSO.
- Act as a positive role model and promote the aims, values and ethos of VSO and uphold all rules and policies.
- Carry out a share of supervisory duties in accordance with VSO schedules.
- Participate in appropriate meetings with community members.
- Collaborate with VSON to initiate and implement interventions that will contribute to improved relevant and quality of learning of students.
- Carry out any other duties which may be reasonably required by VSON
Key Performance Indicators
- Records of Peer to Peer learning in schools in line with project objectives.
- Record of Inclusive Neighborhood learning spaces established and supported
- Record of Successful delivery of project in line with VSO project methodology, Project delivered on time with expected benefits realised.
- Stakeholders’ satisfaction with standard and frequency of project activity, progress, outcome, communications, and reports.
- High quality and timely reports to internal and external stakeholders.
- All reports, evaluations and references are completed within deadlines.
- Data and reporting is conducted in line with the project plan.
- Knowledge product creation in line with project outcome
- Ability to work with children: Understanding of Child protection and how to work with children.
- Building and sustaining working relationships: The social skills to build and actively maintain working relationships that foster teamwork and collaboration with others for the benefit of a common goal.
- Open Minded and Respectful: A non-judgemental approach that values other people and culture.
- Seeking and Sharing Knowledge Recognition that learning is a two- way and continuous process.
- Facilitating Positive Change: The ability to analyse problems and develop lasting solutions in line with VSO approaches.
- Adaptability: A flexible approach and the ability to adapt behaviour to different situations.
- Resilience: The self-confidence to work with a variety of situations, diverse people and ambiguity.
Skills and Knowledge
- Minimum of School Leaving Certificate.
- Good knowledge of tutoring English and Maths to schools pupils
- Ability to take initiatives, team player who is able to work with minimum supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to vary communication content and style to suit audiences to inform, motivate and inspire
- Thinking clearly, deeply and broadly. Practicing innovation & change.
- Practicing gender & cultural diversity.
- Strong skills for relating and working with men and women, boys and girls.
- Relationship Building - Ability to build effective working relationships, inspiring confidence and credibility with employees at all levels. Strong influencer of others. Ability to work effectively across a globally dispersed organisation.
- People Management - Experience of management of project team members
- Organisation and planning - Excellent coordination and planning skills with experience of working under pressure. Time management skills.
- Analysis and creative problem-solving - Ability to analyse and quickly grasp the fundamentals of a need or issue. Able to find innovative ways of solving or pre-empting problems.
- Flexibility - Ability to manage a project in a climate of change, recognising and being open to ambiguity, uncertainty and opportunities.
- Strong skills for relating and with children
- Monitoring and Evaluation – Experience of designing a project monitoring and evaluation framework, conducting project monitoring activities and writing reports.
- Commitment to VSO’s work and values.
Application Closing Date
2nd February, 2020.
11th February, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Apply via EmploymentNigeria
- To submit your application, click on the link above and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
- VSO has zero tolerance of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. We expect all our employees/volunteers to ensure we protect children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm and abide by our safeguarding policy (PDF).
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed