Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Supply Chain Officer
Locations: Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina and Yobe
Donor title: Supply Chain Officer
Length of contract: 5- years
Role type: National
Travel involved: 20%
Child safeguarding level: TBC
Reporting to: Supply Chain Specialist
Dotted line manager: Country Commodity Manager, State Malaria Service Delivery Expert
Country and Project Background
- Malaria is highly endemic in Nigeria and it remains one of the leading causes of childhood and maternal morbidity and mortality in the country. Nigeria is deeply committed to making progress towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and it recognizes the fact that, without firm efforts to control malaria, achievement of the targets related to child mortality, maternal mortality, and reducing the burden of communicable disease will not be possible. Malaria therefore constitutes a significant development challenge for Nigeria.
- Interventions for reducing malaria burden in the country are documented in the national malaria strategic plan with Government taking the lead in its implementation with the support of all the RBM partners. The DFID funded and Malaria Consortium led malaria programme, SuNMaP, provided technical assistance and other support to the Nigeria National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) covering the period 2008 to 2016.
- The anticipated follow on project, SuNMaP2 has been designed to strengthen the management and technical capacity of NMEP, State Malaria Elimination Programme (SMEP) and their stakeholders to drive the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan, 2014 to 2020 and achieve its ambitious targets. This will include short term technical assistance and technical assistance embedded in NMEP in key areas of programme management, evidence generation and use, and capacity building across all project outputs and ultimately reducing Nigeria’s malaria burden and strengthening the Government of Nigeria’s health systems capacity to ensure long term programme and impact sustainability.
- To provide technical support on the supply chain management of malaria commodities at the project offices within the SuNMaP 2 project.
Scope of Work
- The Supply chain officer will be actively responsible for maintaining an effective and efficient logistic management of drugs at the state level.
- S/he will be work directly within the State Logistic Management Coordinating Unit and the Malaria Consortium offices at the assigned state.
Key Working Relationships:
- The Supply Chain Officer will be a member of the programme implementation team and report to State Team Manager and other project staff in delivering programme work plan.
Supply Chain (70%):
- Ensuring that the supply chain activities meet the needs of the programmes in a timely manner and does so in accordance with donor requirements, MC policies and procedures
- Carry out monthly stock status assessment of all SuNMaP 2 commodities at the state central medical stores and report on the assessments to higher levels flagging issues needing actions
- Provide technical support to strengthen the procurement and supply chain management of malaria commodities at the assigned state
- Support and assist in the management of SuNMaP2 commodities at the assigned State Central Medical Stores (SCMS) and health facilities.
- Provision of general and technical logistics/Supply chain management support for SuNMaP2 commodities
- Submit timely and accurate logistic report and review all LMIS reports for project commodities at the assigned state.
- Monitor the delivery of SuNMaP2 commodities and escalate any discrepancies in the quantity of commodities delivered and any quality issues.
- Working with the state Logistic Management Coordination Unit on the management of project commodities and also serves as a link between Malaria Consortium and the state Logistic Management Coordinating Unit
- Provide support for the Monitoring and Evaluation team and reconcile logistic data with M&E data
- Maintaining and regularly updating a database of malaria commodity logistics data for the project
- Performs other duties as directed.
- Ensure smooth relationship with Country Office and other technical managers within the project;
- Facilitate routine monitoring and supportive supervisory visits to health facilities on effective supply chain management of commodities.
- Coordinate review meetings for all LMIS reports to provide feedbacks on the quality of LMIS reports
- Provide regular feedback to the country Supply Chain Specialist and Country Commodity Manager as well as State Malaria Service Delivery Expert in a timely manner
- Provides support to the Malaria Service Delivery Expert on program implementation
Qualifications and Experience:
- Proven previous experience in Supply Chain and Logistics Management of Malaria or HIV/AIDS commodities
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in a related role
- Have a bachelor degree in Pharmacy
- Experience managing a medical supply chain and coordination
- The person must be familiar with the national supply chain system of MoH and LMIS , including MCLS
- Ability to engage with stakeholders on the supply chain management of public health commodities
- Good inter-personal, communication and planning skills
- Experience with good understanding of logistic management of public health commodities in Nigeria
- Experience with using Microsoft Dynamics NAV or another equivalent Enterprise Resource Planning system
Work-based skills and competencies:
- Strong analytical skills
- Proven writing skills in English
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively in developing countries
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality
- Negotiation, Facilitation and coordination skills
- Demonstrable passion for Malaria Consortium’s mission; a strategic manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment
- Excellent computer skills in Excel and knowledge and use of database tools
LEVEL B – Takes on pieces of work when required and demonstrates excellent project management skills
- Shows a flexible approach to taking on additional work/ responsibilities when needed to achieve results
- Demonstrates excellent project management skills to agreed timescales (timelines, targets, donor requirements)
- Makes clear and timely decisions within remit of own role
Analysis and use of information:
LEVEL B - Uses evidence to support work
- Identifies and uses various sources of evidence and feedback to support outputs
- Uses evidence to evaluate policies, projects and programmes
- Identifies links between events and information identifying trends, issues and risks
- Ensures systems are in place to address organisation needs
Interpersonal and communications:
LEVEL B – Fosters two-way communication
- Recalls others’ main points and takes them into account in own communication
- Checks own understanding of others’ communication by asking questions
- Maintains constructive, open and consistent communication with others
- Resolves minor misunderstandings and conflicts effectively
Collaboration and partnering:
LEVEL A – Is a good and effective team player
- Knows who their customers are and their requirements
- Respects and listens to different views/ opinions
- Actively collaborates across teams to achieve objectives and develop own thinking
- Proactive in providing and seeking support from team members
Leading and motivating people:
LEVEL B – Manages own development and seeks opportunities
- Actively manages own development and performance positively
- Learns lessons from successes and failures
- Seeks and explores opportunities within Malaria Consortium which develop skills and expertise
LEVEL B – Remains professional under external pressure
- Able to adapt to changing situations effortlessly
- Remains constructive and positive under stress and able to tolerate difficult situations and environments
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well under pressure
- Learns from own successes/ mistakes
Living the values:
LEVEL B – Promotes Malaria Consortium values amongst peers
- Shows a readiness to promote Malaria Consortium’s values amongst peers
- Promotes ethical and professional behaviour in line with Malaria Consortium’s values
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness:
LEVEL B – Is aware of others’ activities and vice versa in planning activities
- Takes account of team members’ and others’ workload when planning
- Maintains awareness of impact on other parts of the organisation, keeping abreast of others’ activities, objectives, commitments and needs
- Has a good understanding of the sector in which Malaria Consortium works
Application Closing Date
5th February, 2020; 23:59
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Apply via EmploymentNigeria
Click Here For More Information (PDF)
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed