Global Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Director at One Acre Fund
Education and Training
One Acre, founded in 2006, supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 per cent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Global Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Director
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible
About the Role
- We are seeking a dynamic research and evaluation leader with proven experience implementing robust studies in rural areas, developing large teams, and communicating results effectively.
- The Global Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Director will lead all MEL functions in the organization and be an important member of organizational leadership. You will report to the Global Impact Director at One Acre Fund.
- The MEL department at One Acre Fund functions like anin-house research and evaluation firm and conducts rigorous evaluations and analyses which inform internal decision-making as its #1 priority. The team has a presence in all countries of operation and employs a full-time staff of data collectors.
- The MEL department's goal is to prove and improve program impact, and One Acre Fund has a culture of respecting data analysis and pivoting program activities in response to new evidence. This is a unique environment in which to lead MEL activities, with a true influence on program strategy.
- Steward the internal annual evaluation studies that take place in all program countries and seek to measure and learn about One Acre Fund’s impact on farmers.
- Ensure the continuation of the highest quality of data collection and highest accuracy of the analysis that One Acre Fund has come to be associated with.
- Develop and continue professionalising MEL staff at all levels to set the standard for excellence in rural data collection.
- Ensure that MEL data and results continue to inform program strategy by working with program leadership to understand and devise strategies to implement results which maximize program impact.
- Work with senior leaders to collaboratively set and implement a long-term vision for all MEL functions, under the "Impact" umbrella
- Continue to deepen the One Acre Fund evidence base through periodic experimental studies of the immediate program impact or long-term outcomes on farmers’ lives and livelihoods. This can be contracted through external research partners or conducted in-house.
- Develop robust standardized methods for One Acre Fund’s newly evolving work. For example, you may create frameworks for evaluating market access programs, farmer resilience, or whole farm productivity in order to ensure a strong evidence base for operational decisions.
- Oversee the analysis and recommendations which inform the ability of organizational leaders to choose among multiple investments.
- Liaise with partners and donors to ensure that MEL data and analysis is responsive to their requests and requirements.
- Be the global voice for all MEL-related issues, to our organization and top leadership
Career Growth and Development:
- We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance.
- We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for For this role specifically, we are seeking exceptional candidates with 7-10+ years of work experience in the evaluation field, in a developing country context and preferably in programs that address rural livelihoods. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Master's Degree or Higher in Agriculture, Economics, Demography, Statistics, Mathematics or a related field
- 7+ years experience in monitoring and evaluating complex programs
- 7+ years experience in a quantitative field (economics, agricultural/development economics, statistics, biostatistics, nutrition, applied sociology, anthropology, or other relevant field) with significant training in quantitative methods.
- 5+ years of experience managing teams and developing leaders across different geographies
- Technical skills: analyze data using one or more statistical software packages, including STATA or R
- Experience working in a multicultural workplace in a developing country
- One Acre Fund can support a work permit for this role. However, nationals of (or those with an extensive professional background and work history in) our countries of operation are preferred
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
- We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed