The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Industry
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Departement: Industry And Private Sector
Line Supervisor: Commissioner Industry And Private Sector
- Under the general supervision of the Commissioner, Industry & Private Sector, the incumbent promotes and implements ECOWAS vision and goals as they relate to industrialization of the region, especially within the context of the West African Common Industrial Policy (WACIP) and other relevant policies and initiatives on industrialization in ECOWAS.
- Ppo Industry Development And Technology
- Ppo Quality And Standard
- Office Manger
- Office Aide
Role Overview and Responsibilities
- Coordinate implementation of the West African Common Industrial Policy (WACIP 2010-2030) and its strategy framework;
- Promote and strengthen Quality, Standardization, Metrology, Certification and Accreditation structures at both national and regional levels within the framework of ECOWAS Quality Policy (ECOQUAL) and Standards Harmonization Model (ECOSHAM);
- Facilitate harmonization of industrial policy measures, strategies and regulatory frameworks in the region in order to promote industrial development and growth;
- Collaborate with Member States and development partners to strengthen capacity and institutional frameworks for industrial development;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with industry stakeholders and development partners to enhance industrialization in the region;
- Promote local raw materials development and utilization by the industries and thereby encourage the development of resource-based industries in ECOWAS;
- Promote technology transfer and commercialization of industrial research and development programmes, establishment of technical support centres for SMIs, incubation centres, Special Economic Zones (SEZs), Industrial Parks, etc.;
- Collaborate with relevant national, regional and continental and global institutions in the development of intellectual property rights (IPRs) and access to knowledge;
- Encourage industrial competitiveness and monitoring of industrial performance through the establishment of an ECOWAS Industrial Database;
- Collaborate with development partners to promote industrial restructuring and upgrading programme in ECOWAS;
- Facilitate resource mobilization for the implementation of industrial development programmes and projects and provide support towards mobilizing financing resources for the development of quality infrastructure in the region;
- Communicate, translate, coordinate and actualize the implementation of visions of Management of ECOWAS Commission on industrialization in collaboration with staff;
- Organize the Directorate in an efficient manner to ensure effective performance and service delivery;
- Ensure efficient management with clear reporting lines, minimal bureaucracy and optimal delegation of responsibilities;
- Plan and implement performance based annual programme budget;
- Monitor and evaluate implementation of programmes and projects of the Commission and ensure attainment of targets and goals;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the President/Commissioner.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in Science & Engineering, Business Management / Administration, Technology Management, Finance, Banking or in a related field from a recognized University;
- Possession of a professional qualification will be an added advantage.
- 12 years of professional experience, of which 5 years must be at a managerial level;
- Knowledge of a regional industrial development, governance & cooperation framework, particularly as they relate to West Africa such as West African Common Industrial Policy (WACIP), ECOWAS Quality Policy (ECOQUAL), ECOWAS Standards Harmonization Model (ECOSHAM);
- Knowledge of West-African macroeconomic and development issues; technical capacity to implement a comprehensive policy framework governing the operations of the private sector within member states with proven ability to develop an SMIs strategy development framework;
- Specific expertise in setting up of incubators, technical support & technology transfer centers, SEZs, industrial parks, training and vocational centers; ability to design, develop and implement programmes and projects with a focus on institutional capacity development and business development services.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Senior leadership experience in establishing strategic partnerships, working collaboratively and building consensus with multiple internal and/or external stakeholders on complex issues in a multi-disciplinary governmental or international organizations;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate, strategic plan/priorities as well as the economic, political and social state/trends of member states, as pertains to own scope of work;
- Exhibit consistency on actions, values, methods, confidentiality, ethics, measures, principles, expectations and outcomes which connotes a deep commitment to do the right thing for the right reason, regardless of the circumstances;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Heads of Institutions, elected officials and statutory employees to facilitate compliance, build engagement, resolve conflicts and obtain support for change;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to promote a culture where people hold themselves personally accountable for results;
- Ability to provide leadership, management, and technical oversight for all project activities and program deliverables in accordance with ECOWAS legal and administrative practices and standards;
- Ability to conduct periodic reviews of staff performance in keeping with the ECOWAS performance management system and to mentor staff to ensure high levels of motivation, commitment, capacity, and teamwork;
- Ability to oversee project management, internal controls and stewardship of financial resources and to address issues in a confident and capable manner whilst making decisions that exemplifies impartial and non-partisan decision-making.
- Ability to exercise the initiative and resourcefulness necessary for simultaneously addressing variety of stakeholder needs, pursuing multiple tasks and achieving positive outcomes;
- Ability to create synergies with client groups and others to achieve objectives in setting and monitoring service standards and indicators;
- Ability to motivate and engage others in promoting or adopting best practices in client services ;
- Ability to identify and improve services and client interactions through appropriate networks and to create innovative ways of addressing these in an accountable and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of anti-discriminatory/human rights regulatory environment and ability to advance strategies to foster an inclusive working environment and healthy organization respectful of cultural diversity and gender equality and free from harassment and discrimination;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, being sensitive to group differences, gender issues and ability to contribute to, advocate for, and/or develop policies which are gender sensitive and responsive to various cultures;
- Ability to foster a diverse and inclusive interactive work environment that can effectively bring together a wide spectrum of ideas and experiences to solve problems, develop projects/programs and improve results;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to remain objective in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences /positions, gender differences, and encourage other staff to overcome cultural and gender bias and differences.
- Understanding of the ECOWAS organizational structure, workplace culture and dynamics;
- Ability to apply knowledge of ECOWAS legal framework, strategic priorities and operational standards to develop/modernize policies and programs and/or to implement policies and programs in a sustainable and effective manner;
- Well-developed business, social and political acumen, demonstrating a strong commitment to the vision and mandate of ECOWAS coupled with a broad knowledge of the economic, political and social situations and trends in member states;
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills on matters relating to policy and strategy development important to the realization of the ECOWAS mandate and the improvement of outcomes for member states.
- Ability to analyze reports as well as socio-economic and institutional dynamics and recognize areas of potential obstacles or challenges and develop innovative solutions or alternatives to address barriers and achieve strategic/operational priorities;
- Ability to anticipate and interpret the effects of environmental changes (social, economic and political),and its impact and make recommendations;
- Ability to identify/address strengths and weaknesses, stimulate creativity, reduce resistance to change and improve the achievement of strategic objectives;
- Ability to make prudent decisions relating to the management of human, financial and material resources.
- Ability to actively listen and understand perspectives of others to make informed assertions, decisions or recommendations;
- Ability to build multiple external collaborative relationships to support strategic and operational objectives; identify the key issues and accommodate the key players with well thought out communication and stakeholder management plans;
- Ability to communicate with clarity and conviction, make compelling presentations which promotes new insights, ideas and perspectives and a better understanding of issues and challenges;
- Exhibit active listening skills to encourage stronger communication amongst team members, to show care and make them feel valued and to drive employee engagement in all institutions and agencies;
- Excellent negotiation and conflict management skills focusing on building and nurturing effective and collaborative relationships;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to prepare plans, set clear objectives in a consistent manner and have effective oversight of performance management practices to ensure that goals and standards are met;
- Ability to set effective goals/results and manage change in a manner that demonstrates resilience, composure and a positive outlook in an environment of uncertainty and ambiguity;
- Ability to enable the development of organizational and individual talent throughout the implementation of strategic, operational, programme, project and individual plans;
- Ability to implement plans, mobilize/engage people, identify critical success factors, mitigate risks, monitor indicators and feedback, initiate corrective measure and build capacities for sustainability;
- Ability to institute rigorous monitoring, and evaluation practices and to learn from setbacks and mistakes to ensure continuous improvement.
- UA81,435.54, USD128, 488.99.
Application Closing Date
24th April, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: email@example.com
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Click here for more Information
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed