Regional Senior Technical Advisor - Surveillance, Monitoring & Evaluation / Health System Strengthening (SME/HSS) at Management Sciences for Health (MSH) - 2 Positions
CROSS RIVER , NASARAWA ,
The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Senior Technical Advisor - Surveillance, Monitoring & Evaluation / Health System Strengthening (SME/HSS)
Job ID: 13-11069
Location: Cross River and Nassarawa
Group/Office: PDG (Program Delivery Group)
Dept/Unit: PDGGEN - Program Delivery Group
Project/Program: A576 - PMI - S
Reports To: Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor
Number of Positions: 2
- PMI-S is a five-year PMI/USAID flagship malaria project implemented through a consortium led by MSH. The project is supporting the Government of Nigeria through its agencies at the federal, state, LGA and community levels to reduce under-five and maternal mortality by delivering quality services for management of malaria, its complications, and prevention.
- PMI-S project focuses on strengthening the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) and State Malaria Elimination Programs (SMEPs) for the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan 2014-2020.
- The Regional Senior Technical Advisor Surveillance, Monitoring & Evaluation/Health System Strengthening (SME/HSS) will provide technical leadership state M&E/HSS interventions in the region. S/he will also be responsible for supporting work planning activities at the state level, generating strategic data for program management, reporting, and documentation of best practices.
- The position holder will use analyzed and triangulated HMIS, LMIS, and surveillance data at strategic policy and management discussions to influence and guide HSS interventions in the states. S/he will build the capacity of SMEP in use of evidence to influence HRH, health financing, and service delivery system decisions.
- S/he will provide technical supervision for four M&E/HSS officers based in each region. Region one - Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi and Oyo states and region two Nassarawa, Plateau, Benue and Zamfara states.
- Provide technical guidance to SMEPs in the region in the planning and implementation of all M&E/HSS activities.
- Support state M&E/HSS Officers in the implementation of PMI4States state level M&E plans and work plan and reporting on program indicators and targets in collaboration with the State Coordinator.
- Support the states teams to establish systems for flow of information from service-delivery points to the PMI4States central database.
- Build capacity of SMEP and state DPRS in monitoring and evaluation, data analysis, data interpretation and data use to inform decisions and guide malaria interventions
- Participate in data quality review meetings at the state level.
- Work with state M&E/HSS Officer and SMEP to train health workers in the use of HMIS tools.
- Work with the State Coordinators in the implementation of selected health systems interventions including, for example, evidence-based state malaria annual operational plans (AOPs) to fit into state planning and budgeting cycle.
- Engage with the State DPRS, SPHCDA, and State Health Insurance Scheme to mainstream state malaria budgets in state government budget.
- Support state malaria partners to build an evidence base to monitor state malaria program performance towards elimination goals.
- Participate and provide technical input in state-level malaria program review meetings.
- Provide TA to the states in management of Malaria Data Repository at the state level, drawing from the national MDR instance; and promote dissemination of information to policy and decision makers through bulletins.
Qualifications and Experience
- Postgraduate degree in Social Sciences, Statistics, Epidemiology or related field with focus on generating and triangulating data to inform State health systems strengthening.
- Strong analytical, advocacy and program planning skills required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ hands-on monitoring & evaluation experience, with good understanding of health system strengthening at state or federal level.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in developing monitoring plans and/or management information systems 3 years of which spent working with NGOs in an African setting.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in malaria programs in Nigeria.
- Familiarity with USAID reporting systems highly desirable, particularly for malaria control.
- Excellent data analysis, presentation, use and reporting skills.
- Strong computer skills particularly in spreadsheets, database and statistical applications, including DHIS2 for data management.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to foresee problems and initiate appropriate action.
- Demonstrated experience in supervision and mentoring of staff at state level.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and facilitation of training activities.
- Excellent organizational, inter-personal, multi-cultural and team building skills.
Application Closing Date
30th April, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The position holders will work from the MSH State Field Offices in Cross River and Nassarawa.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed