Able Seaman at a Multinational Marine / Maritime Services Group - Ascentech Services Limited
Ascentech Services Limited - Our client, a multinational marine / maritime services group, with business interests across the globe, is currently seeking qualified candidates to fill the position below for its operations in Nigeria:
Job Title: Able Seaman
- The incumbent in this position will be required to work on a ship, acting as a utility man who will perform duties not limited to look out, scaling and assisting in the operation and handling of all gear, machinery and in letting go and tying up of the vessel.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as the deck utility man and can be called upon to perform any one of many tasks
- Stands deck department watches and performs variety of duties to preserve painted surfaces of ship and to maintain lines, running gear, and cargo-handling gear in safe operating condition
- Watches from bow of ship or wing of bridge for obstructions in path of ship.
- Mops or washes down deck, using hose, to remove oil, dirt, and debris.
- Chips and cleans rust spots from deck, superstructure, and sides of ship, using hand or air chipping hammer and wire brush.
- Standing as lookout, scaling and chipping paint, painting, handling lines during the mooring of the ship, and assisting in the actual letting go and tying up of the vessel
- Assisting in the operation and handling of all deck gear including cradling, topping and housing of booms
- Scale, buff, and paint decks; scrub, sweep, and wash deck; splice wire and rope; loosen cargo at end of voyage; launch and recover boats, and secure or fasten cargo to ship/vessel.
- Acting in the capacity of a helmsman when called upon
- Reading draft markings and acting as cargo watch during the loading and discharging of cargo operations.
- Keeping the heads and passageways in tiptop condition
- Operating the deck machinery such as the winches or windlass
- Overhauling and installing any standing or running rigging on the ship
- Responsible for the coxswain of the lifeboat
- Maintaining the bridge in a shipshape and clean condition
- Clean and perform maintenance, and identify and remove rust accumulations on the ship.
- Refinish affected areas with sealants, primers, and paints to slow the oxidation process.
- Stage large amounts of equipment, such as twist-locks, braces, ratchet-straps, tie-down rods.
- Break out, rig, overhaul, and stow cargo-handling gear, stationary rigging, and running gear.
- Check cargo to look for wear and tear, broken or compromised securements, shifting, or any other sort of noncompliance.
Education, Skills & Competencies, Training, Experience & General Requirements:
- ND / HND / BSc / BEng in a Science, Engineering and/or other relevant discipline
- A minimum of 3 years of sailing / on-board vessel experience
- Certificate of Competency or Certificate of Equivalent Competency in Basic Safety Training
- Valid International Passport
- Seaman Mandatory certificate
- Seafarers Medical Report / Certificate
- Seaman Discharge Book / Certificate and other relevant Documentation.
- STCW Personal Survival Techniques
- STCW Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities
- STCW Elementary First Aid
- STCW Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Proficiency in Security Awareness and in Designated Security Duties
- Proficiency in Medical First Aid or Proficiency in Medical Care
- Proficiency in Advanced Fire Fighting.
- Ability to work with odd workers without losing focus
- Physically fit and strong.
Application Closing Date
30th June, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the "Job title" as subject of the email
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed