Secretary to the Country Manager, RDGE at African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Secretary to the Country Manager, RDGE
Location: Country Office, Rwanda
Publication date: 29-Jun-2020
Closing date: 28-Jul-2020
Position N°: 50064295
- The Bank has reorganized and is developing the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex whose major objective is to build regional capabilities and bring responsibility for client activities closer to the regions.
- Five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director General: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa, and Central Africa.
The Hiring Department / Country Office
- The various Country Office falls within one of the five (5) Regions of the Africa Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs. The Hub oversees a combination of country and liaison offices, as well as non-presence countries.
- Under the Directorate General of the Eastern Region, the Rwanda Country Office of the African Development Bank have been established to strengthen policy dialogue between the Bank, Governments and other stakeholders; improve performance of the project portfolio and aid coordination with other development partners.
- The Secretary to the Country Manager will work closely with the Country Manager and the Team to provide administrative support. The incumbent of the position will help the Country Manager and the team to make the best use of their time by dealing with secretarial and administrative tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the Supervision of the Country Manager, the Secretary will perform the following:
Work Flow Management:
- Receive and register all incoming and outgoing documents of the Country Office;
- Ensure that documents presented for Country Manager’s signature are complete, with necessary attachments and background documents;
- Draft general or administrative correspondence on own initiative or on the basis of instructions and finalize for the Country Manager’s signature;
- Verify that outgoing correspondence is presented in accordance with the Bank’s accepted formats and check on probable typographical errors, presentation, completeness and procedural accuracy of all documents submitted to the Country Manager’s for clearance, approval or signature;
- Review and classify priority and important correspondences and submit accordingly;
- Follow-up and ensure that target dates and deadlines are met using appropriate tracking tools, and that correspondence and queries are responded to in a timely manner;
- Channel correspondence for action by the Country Manager’s or send directly to the concerned unit, if necessary.
- Manage the SAP-based travel management function, to create missions, track and request missions’ approval, request air tickets and insert mission claims on behalf of CORW Staff;
- Discharge role in processing of administrative payments in SAP in line with the Bank segregation of duty guidelines.
Communication And Liaison:
- Receive visitors and telephone calls with tact and discretion, and act according to the nature and urgency of each, including redirecting to the concerned offices, as appropriate;
- Screen Country Manager’s calls/visitors make appointments for visitors to meet the Country Manager;
- Provide background information to the Country Manager’s. for appointments with official visitors and/or staff members;
- Manage information flows between Country Managers and other staff members of the Country Office;
- Follow up on work deadlines with Managers of the Country Office;
- Schedule meetings for the Country Manager’s, according to schedules and Country Manager’s Agenda for the week;
- Arrange time and venue for meetings, collect necessary background materials of meetings needed from the relevant Country Offices; Remind Country manager and other staff members about scheduled meetings.
- Provide protocol services and events management services in support of senior visits and events led or participated by the office, in coordination with the protocol officers in the regional office and in headquarters as necessary.
Record Keeping And Documentation:
- Maintain a filing system in both hard and soft copies to meet the needs of the Country Office;
- Keep a weekly calendar of activities that shows all meetings to be attended by the Country Manager. as well as by other staff members. It also includes all external visits to the Country Offices;
- Obtain briefing and background materials for meetings, seminars, workshops, etc. to be attended by the Country Manager and when appropriate by CORW staff, checking their availability and ensuring they have the appropriate briefing files and documents;
- Maintain Contact address / Mailing Directory of partners working with the Country Office.
- Make travel arrangements for the Country Manager’s including tickets, hotel reservation, etc.;
- Assist in preparation of presentations using PowerPoint and other software packages on own initiative or on the basis of instructions;
- Perform other office administration tasks (photocopies, emails) when the need arises;
Including desirable skills, experience and knowledge:
- Hold at least a Bachelor's degree in Business Management, Commerce, Administration or related discipline;
- Training in secretarial Science and/or Administration and Office Management is advantageous;
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant and practical experience in administrative and secretarial roles, in similar offices of international Organizations, Development Banks or similar institutions;
- Good knowledge of administration and office support services, including systems and procedures;
- Good coordination skills - methodical and self-organized;
- Demonstrable commitment to delivering excellent customer service focused reception and administration service;
- Good interpersonal, planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to think quickly to respond to immediate requests;
- Flexibility to adapt, positive attitude towards change, and a constructive and creative approach to problem solving;
- Proficiency in the use of standard equipment (computer, fax, scanner, photocopies, etc.);
- Effective communication, problem solving, client orientation, teamwork and operational effectiveness.
- Good innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits for the clients and the organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and other integrated document management systems, with SAP a distinctive advantage.
Application Closing Date
28th July, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information / Notice
- This position does not attract international terms and conditions. The post holder will be considered as a local staff and will therefore not have international terms and conditions of employment.
- Only applicants who already have the right to live and work in rwanda will be considered for this position. The bank does not support applications for work permits and relocation.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed