Supply Chain Manager at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Supply Chain Manager
Requisition ID: req10508
Location: Yobe, Nigeria
Sector: Supply Chain
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Background / IRC Summary
- The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February, 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri and Monguno of Borno State and Damatru of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods.
Job Overview / Summary
- The Supply Chain Manager is responsible for the efficient coordination and management of the supply chain function for IRC Yobe in compliance with IRC and donor regulations.
- The positon will direct supervision to Procurement, warehouse and fleet officers and in Yobe.
- Key responsibilities include procurement management, inventory and warehousing management, assets and properties management and vehicle & transport management.
- The position would report to the Borno Office Field Coordinator with dotted line of reporting to the Senior Area Manager and will work closely and receive technical support from the Supply Chain Coordinator.
Program Management, Technical Quality, and Strategy:
- Be accountable for periodic circle count as per the standard operating procedure to ensure that stock management system is adhered to by the warehouse officers and storekeepers.
- Lead in conducting fiscal year end stock inventories and ensure that effective stock inventory report is produced.
- Assist programs to establish and implement a reliable stock distribution plan to avoid closed grant or expired items in the warehouses.
- Provide on-going training to Field Warehouse Officers and Storekeepers in their relevant functions and reporting.
- Oversee warehouse operations throughout Yobe office (with particular emphasis on medical and pharmaceutical stores) ensuring proper stock-keeping records, storage conditions, security and facility maintenance
- Provide cross training to Health Program Managers on IRC warehouse and drug supply chain procedures to enable Health Program monitoring and spot checking of warehouses
- Train warehouse staff as required in managing and documenting the receipt, handling, storage, dispatching and reporting of goods through the IRC warehouse(s).
- Finalize monthly report for the expendables store outlining all stock movements and remaining balances.
- Ensure donor reports for stock are complete and submitted to the Grants Department on time as per donor requirement.
- Maintain records/authorizations for warehouse staff designated to receive and dispatch goods.
- Ensure warehouse and stocks are secure, well managed and documented.
- Ensure proper tracking, maintenance, and recording of all IRC assets in Yobe offices, which will lead to an accurate asset database at all times.
- Ensure that each staff member is accountable for every asset assigned to them through the use of the Equipment Issue / Receipt forms.
- Define and implement maintenance systems and procedures for assets, including training of staff and follow-up.
- Ensure quarterly physical check of assets and submission of asset reports to field coordinator and supply chain coordinator for review.
- Ensure donor reports for assets are complete and submitted to the Grants Department on time as per donor requirement.
- Ensure disposal of assets is reviewed and implemented on an annually as per IRC and donor requirements regulations.
Fleet and Transport Management:
- Oversee the management of the transport fleet for IRC Yobe offices. Ensure that vehicles are allocated to program/departments in an efficient manner and in coordination with Program teams and Field Coordinator/Manager.
- Ensure that systems are in place to account for transported goods.
- Prepare monthly reports on Fuel Usage, Mileage and Spares Expenditures by vehicle for review, general reporting and analysis for continuous improvement.
- Ensure management, tracking, maintenance and reporting of all IRC vehicles according to IRC policy.
- Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload
- Well organized and analytical
- Able to work well in a team and to undertake assigned tasks independently.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Senior Area Manager and Supply Chain Coordinator
- Position directly supervises: Procurement Officer and Supply Chain Officer
- Indirect Reporting: Senior Area Manager
- Other Internal and/or external contacts: describe the nature of departments or groups the position influences or requires support from to accomplish objectives.
- Country Program: Supply Chain Manager, Supply Chain Coordinator, Transport, Maintenance, warehouse and asset team, Operation team, SAMS and program Leads.
- Region/Global: RSCD, GSC team.
- State-level logistics clusters and Local government authorities.
- Diploma / B.Sc / HND qualification.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Technical experience managing pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical commodities, Transport, Asset and maintenance preferably in Yobe State, including knowledge of best practices around storing, managing, distributing and reporting on pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical commodities.
- Technical experience interpreting key monitoring and evaluation indicators and data and using it to make quality assurance decisions and reporting.
- Demonstrated understanding of Supply chain policy and regulations and existing Logistics actors and processes.
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment. Proven ability to plan and manage multiple tasks in parallel to optimize the short seasonal implementation window in multiple locations. Capacity to respond rapidly to evolving challenges, devise appropriate solutions and achieve results.
- Cultural awareness and the capacity to learn rapidly and adapt management approaches to varying cultural and security contexts.
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
Demonstrated Managerial / Leadership Competencies:
- Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate
- Understand, implement and monitor adherence to IRC Supply Chain policies and procedures including Asset and Inventory Management, Vehicle and Equipment Management and Drug Management
- Ensure that compliance with policies is documented through systematic and random verifications of policy implementation
- Temporarily fill Warehouse and transport Officers gaps during staff absence or position vacancies
- Promptly inform the Senior Area Manager and Supply Chain Coordinator of any areas of concern or potential or suspected violations of policies and procedures.
- Fluently speak and write English language clearly.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed