Consultants - Enhancing Data Management System at Christian Aid - Kaduna and Anambra
KADUNA , ABUJA ,
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant - Enhancing Data Management System
Locations: Kaduna and Anambra
Christian Aid is an international Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to marginalized and vulnerable groups to end poverty. Currently, Christian Aid is leading a consortium to deliver the “Evidence and Collaboration for Inclusive Development” (ECID) programme, which is funded by DFID under UK Aid Connect.
This programme aims to demonstrate an innovative approach to building civil society effectiveness in Myanmar, Nigeria and Zimbabwe. It is designed to generate and use subjective and objective data from the most marginalised people to amplify their voices in decision making at all levels – from local to global – and mobilising decision-makers around this evidence.
The data and approach will foster connections and collaboration between a wide range of stakeholders (Civil Society Organisations, government, private sector) to increase accountability, responsiveness and effectiveness, such that key target groups have improved access to services and participation in decision-making processes in Myanmar, Nigeria and Zimbabwe.
In each of the three countries, Christian Aid is committed to design and test an appropriate digital data platform that will make useful and innovative contributions to the country and sectors by making available rigorous data on key marginalised populations and engaging with civil society and policymakers to utilise this evidence to effect policy and governance changes for the most marginalised.
In Nigeria, the project target groups are rural Women, adolescent boys and girls and People with Disability. It is implemented in partnership with six organisations in Anambra and Kaduna states, focusing on four priority areas of intervention: health, education, agriculture and infrastructure.
The project has four strategic outcomes which include:
- Improved access to services for the focal groups,
- Increased participation in decision-making processes for focal groups
- Improved effectiveness of civil society and other actors at all levels in addressing the priorities of focal groups
- More accountable and responsive power holders (duty bearers) to the priorities of focal groups
- An initial assessment of the prevailing conditions in the two states where the project is being implemented have revealed that the development and delivering of policies, data management (including data collection, analysis, storage, access and interpretation for decision making that addresses the needs of the project target groups) are not at the desired standards and therefore needs to be enhanced for both availability and ease of access.
- In view of the above background information, Christian Aid Nigeria would like to commission a consultant to provide institutional strengthening and capacity support for government institutions’ staff on both theoretical and practical statistical data collection tools, management, analysis, interpretation and decision especially that affect the project target group.
- The main focus will be to ascertain the functionality of any existing data system, build a functional data platform leveraging existing data management resources in the states, improve how well government data management agencies/staff grasp and internalize data collection tools, management, analysis, interpretation to make sound decision to achieve the intended objectives of the data management for policy planning, formulation and implementation
The successful consultant will carry out the following tasks:
- Engage with the various government department and agencies to understand the existing data management systems in place, the different ways in which these policy actors access and use data/evidence for their development planning and identify the gaps to data management.
- Carry out a rapid appraisal of the government staff capacity in the collection, use and storage of data with data management staff capacity needs.
- Make recommendations on the various support options from basic to comprehensive on data management system that can be deployed for each of the state. Based on consultation with CA, design and deploy the most appropriate option for enhancing data management systems in both states that is timely, contextual, cost effective and easy to manage.
- Design and deliver training for the staff on relevant topics as it relates to data management system, tools and analysis of technical data in relation to policy development and implementation
- Review relevant documents provided and past efforts on improving the data management in the states with respect to identifying their success factor and impediments to provide lessons that can positively contribute to the assignment
Methods or Approach:
- To adequately address the key objectives stated above, the consultant should adopt mixed methods combining both theoretical and practical skill and knowledge on statistical tools and application
- The consultant should clearly outline their proposed methodology in response to the objectives of the assignment in their proposal.
Scope of Work
The overall focus of this engagement is to:
- Carry out an assessment of existing data management systems and practices in Kaduna and Anambra states by 31st January 2021
- Based on findings from the assessment proposed and developed a data management solution leveraging existing data management resources in the states by 30th March 2021, and
- Develop and implement a capacity enhancement plan for government data management agencies and staff in Anambra and Kaduna state based on findings from the data management assessment carried out and the skill set required to manage data management solution developed above.
- The training will be aimed at improving the skill and addressing any knowledge gaps within government agencies in relation to data management, analysis and interpretation in future policy development, planning and implementation related to the target vulnerable groups.
- An inception report describing detailed methodology, training timeline and work plan agreed with Christian Aid.
- Terms of Reference: Data Management System
- An assessment report with detailed findings from the Data Management Assessment carried out in both states.
- A comprehensive end of project report presented in both hard and soft copy formats not later than the date stated above.
- Documented evidence of stakeholders consulted including names and contact details.
- Evidence of a deployed and functional data management system in place in Anambra and Kaduna states
- Draft report should be submitted by 5th April 2021.
- Christian Aid will review and provide comments by 10th April 2021.
- A revised final report should be submitted by the consultant 30th April 2021.
- Review commissioner: [Temitope Fashola]
- Reference group: [CA/consortium partners as relevant]
Time / Budget:
- It is expected that the implementation of this activity will be executed over the period commencing in December 2020 and be completed by February 2021 and will not exceed forty (40) total working days. The consultant will submit a budget detailing estimated cost of the expected implementation of this activity
- This budget must be in the form of a complete breakdown detailing costs of personnel, materials, logistics and other items
- Based on the approved budget, an initial 70% payment will be made on signing of the contract and at the commencement of the job while balance 30% payment will be paid upon receipt of a satisfactory final report
- The total cost is subject to 5% withholding tax which will be deducted at source for individual consultant and 10% for an organizational consultant.
- Christian Aid will outsource this consultancy service to a competent professional consultant with relevant educational background, adequate work experiences and understanding of the target states context
- The consultant should have a thorough undertaking of both theoretical and practical statistical package and data management and analysis with regards to policy development and planning
- In particular, the following skills: excellent written and verbal English language skills for delivering the training materials and presentations. Evidence of relevant previous experience and / or names and contact details of references with good knowledge of your previous work, i.e., three professional references with the telephone numbers and e-mail addresses.
Expressions of Interest
Interested consultants should send the information listed below:
- Technical proposal outlining the background, objectives, methodologies, detailed implementation plans and timeline, team, profile of respective consultancy firm.
- Latest curriculum vitae (of the consultant and any supporting team members) undertaking the training on Data Management systems for Anambra and Kaduna state Government Data Management Agency staff.
- Sample Data Management Solutions or any similar work completed in the past by the applying party
- Separate Detailed financial proposal which includes consultant fee, transport and accommodation.
Application Closing Date
22nd December, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should read and strictly follow the detailed Terms of Reference (ToR) and submit both a technical and financial proposal to: firstname.lastname@example.org copying FAlobo@christian-aid.org ; Bchristopher@christian-aid.org and Varokoyo@christian-aid.org
- Please indicate “Enhancing Data Management System in Kaduna and Anambra States” in the subject line
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and only applicants resident in NIGERIA are eligible to apply
- The selection of consultant will be based on areas of experiences in delivering similar tasks in the past and related educational background.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed