Communications Officer at British American Tobacco Nigeria Foundation (BATN Foundation)
BATN Foundation is an independent charitable organization with a mandate to support sustainable agriculture development and improve the livelihoods of those living in rural communities with special emphasis on smallholder farmers.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Communications Officer
Job Number: 18838
Function: Legal & External Affairs
Appointment Type: Permanent
- British American Tobacco Nigeria Foundation (BATN Foundation) is seeking a new colleague to handle all communication platforms and activities in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Preparation and conduct of an assessment of the communication needs (at the level of projects, country program and corporate change initiatives).
- Development and implementation of a communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy and communications needs assessment.
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals on ways to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of BATN Foundation’s program during formulation.
- Active participation in the United Nations Private Sector Advisory Group, ensuring substantial contribution to all activities.
- Take the lead on identification of storylines for publications and drafting of substantive articles contributing to public debates on key development issues.
- Planning and implementation of public information campaigns on BATN Foundation agricultural programs.
- Promotion, adaptation and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications.
- Organization of media activities including roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews and media launches in collaboration with the Media Associate.
- Forge a strong relationship with Government Communication Officers and support national capacity development in the field of communication.
- Preparation of sustainability reports, education and community awareness activities as required to support program delivery.
- Support (prepare talking points and background briefs) the organization on high-level missions, events, launches and press conferences.
- Partner with media to arrange interviews and coverage of emerging missions and events.
- Facilitate engagement with nationally known personalities and help to organize special events and activities to support country program goals.
- Proactive content management, including production of new content, ensuring that the website and intranet are frequently updated, meet BATN Foundation’s corporate requirements and that all uploaded material is consistent.
- Promotion of good information management and knowledge building in the organization as well as with partners and the general public.
Requirements in terms of Education/Experience/Skills
- An advanced university degree in communication, social sciences or in a related field.
- A minimum of 3 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in communication.
- Excellent oral and written communications and editing skills in English.
- Experience in planning, executing, and monitoring communications strategies.
- Proven experience in photography and editing skills.
- Experience with web content management and web standards (XHTML/CSS).
- Proven ability to use current office software applications and software such as PageMaker/Publisher, QuarkXPress PowerPoint, Photoshop.
- Experience working in collaboration with the private sector to advance an agenda or reach a desired population will be an added advantage.
- Strong advocacy skills.
- Demonstrated skills in social marketing.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and diverse team.