Paediatrician at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) - Holland
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Paediatrician
Location: MSF OCA, Zamfara Secondary Health Care Project
Main Objective & Responsibility Of The Position
The role of Paediatrician is responsible for providing outpatient and/or inpatient paediatric care to patients/beneficiaries according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards to improve the new-born and child/beneficiaries health conditions.
Description of the Responsibilities / Activities
- Applying medical knowledge and skills to prevention, diagnosis and treatment of children, ensuring integrated new-born and paediatric care through Emergency, OPD, and IPD services in newborns and cases of malnutrition. Prescribing the necessary treatment, respecting MSF protocols.
- Collaborating closely with the different department of the hospital (e.g. Maternity), Knowing and ensuring all updated MSF medical protocols and universal precautions are followed and implemented, reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control.
- As an expert in paediatrics, proposing strategy (modification on current new-born and paediatric care management) and implementing them after validation of Operation and Paediatric Advisor.
- Ensuring on-going new-born and paediatric training (formal and bedside) of the medical/paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the new-born and paediatric quality of care. Reviewing and discussing selected complicated cases or mistakes and giving technical input.
- Keeping patients and their families informed of the illness and the treatment to follow, checking that they have been understood. Ensuring professional autonomy and confidentiality are respected and a good attitude and proper bedside manner towards the patient and their care takers and the rest of the medical team.
- Following up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients through daily visits, consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Monitoring the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material and addresses the list of the missing item for new-born and paediatric activities. Providing inputs about general organization of the different paediatric wards, including the admission, transfer and discharge criteria + referral procedure from Maternity and post-delivery wards
- Checking and controlling the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and taking care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assuring general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participating in the introduction / improvement of the collection and analysis of epidemiological new-born and paediatric data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problems or complications of the patient’s illness and medical errors. Collecting Clinical cases for further trainings and list a series of comments to improve the current MSF protocols
- Managing the team under his/her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
- Debriefing with coordination, Headquarter (including Paediatric Advisor) and providing written report on main findings, activities, conclusions and further recommendations.
Project Specific Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- The medical doctor pediatrician will be working in the project in close collaboration with the Medical Activities Manager (MAM), national staff MD Supervisor and doctors to ensure quality medical services primarily in the inpatient department.
Medical / Clinical Activities:
- Carry out medical consultations in the HDU, Isolation ward as well as ER and improve basic pediatric care, to pediatric inpatients including hospitalized heavy metal poisoning cases according to MSF established protocols.
- The pediatrician clinician should proactively (hands on and not on demand) reviewing patient in HDU (High Dependency Unit) and providing technical support to the MDs during ward rounds and review all new admissions either in ER - triage together with the AMR focal person.
- Supports and follows up on therapeutic feeding activities in pediatric ward by ensuring respect for feeding guidelines, high standards of hygiene, health promotion, and counseling of caregivers.
- Provides support to ensure the implementation of effective infection control measures in pediatric ward
- Responsible, together with the MD Supervisor, in reviewing admitted patients and ensuring proper implementation of admission and discharge criteria and implementing discharges after second/afternoon review of patients on admission.
- Complete documentation of all medical related activities such as patient files (properly filled) medical incidents reported in the proper format and all referral protocols.
- Together with all MDs, organizes case reviews on mortality and morbidity while outlining clear steps to improve the quality of patient care.
- Identify, consult, participate in decision making and facilitate referrals according to the patient’s referral policy
Clinical support to MDs:
- Trains and coaches all new medical doctors on specific pediatric diagnoses, basic pediatric treatment, about the MSF protocols and procedures for the pediatric ward in the hospital.
- Together with MAM and NS MDs, arrange and facilitate clinical teaching sessions including case discussions.
Drug prescriptions and AMR:
- Supports and ensures rationale prescriptions and use of drugs in all the departments.
- Together with MAM and NS MD AMR focal point, participate in regular chart reviews, antibiotic audits and implementation of the sepsis protocol/AMR stewardship.
- Supports the AMR focal point based on JD e.g. on follow-up prescriptions habits – reviewing 10/files/week per antibiotic and giving feedback to prescribers.
Medical Supply / Consumption:
- Provides feedback on the monthly medical order for medical needs identified by the medical team and during the forecasting periods for international order reviews.
Data / Reporting:
- Writing a brief monthly summary report analyzing clinical work for MMR analyzes mortality and ensures all deaths are timely encoded in the HIS.
- Support and participate actively in disease outbreak investigations/ surveillance at the project site.
- Participate in disease outbreak response in the mission when called upon.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for the role of Paediatrician, applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Medical Doctor diploma in a recognized university
- Qualification as a Pediatrician (FWACP, FRCP, US BC/BE or equivalent)
- Registration with Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria with current practicing license
- 2 years experience minimum as a pediatrician in paediatric hospital
- Fluent in English (verbal/ written) and Hausa (verbal)
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- People Management and Development (L2)
- Commitment to MSF principles (L2)
- Behavioural Flexibility (L3)
- Results and Quality Orientation (L3)
- Teamwork and Cooperation (L3).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only complete applications will be considered and only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for the written exam and interview.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed