People and Organisational Development Intern at WaterAid Nigeria
WaterAid Nigeria is an international non-for-profit organization dedicated to helping people break free from poverty and disease, unlock their potential and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. WaterAid started its operation in Nigeria in 1995. Since then it has successfully executed several intervention programmes as outlined by its objectives and has made impact in the lives of the very poor. WaterAid with the country office in Abuja currently works in Bauchi, Enugu and Plateau States with funding from various donors and partners.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: People and Organisational Development Intern
Employment Type: Full time
Purpose of Role
- The POD Intern is intended to be a learning and development opportunity for young professionals to gain exposure and build skills through work in an international development organization and potentially, build a crop of professionals with experience relevant to the international development or other professional sectors
- The post holder will be part of a team responsible for providing high quality support services required to achieve the mission of the organization and more precisely, delivering on demand
Human Resources and Administrative Services:
- He / She will be required to interpret guidelines using policies and precedents
- Most importantly, He / She will be able to demonstrate sufficient professional and personal maturity to be entrusted with what in many cases will be sensitive information
A key responsibility of the intern will be to provide support to People and Organisational Department and the CP at large, in a number of capacities and activities. These will include:
Human Resources Support:
- Support timely and efficient completion of WaterAid Nigeria recruitment process by downloading applications received in respect of advertised / vacant positions and populating list of all applications received into a template for ease of review
- Conduct first level review of applications received in line with specified minimum criteria outlined in the vacancy advert
- Participate in elements of recruitment process as may be required or delegated from time to time
- Responsible for management of HR information and documentation especially updating personnel records with relevant forms and correspondences, drafting HR correspondences and distribution of signed correspondence to designated recipients etc.
- Collate vehicle log sheets for each vehicle on the WaterAid Nigeria fleet and prepare periodic (monthly, quarterly, annual) vehicle usage reports detailing mileage per vehicle and vehicle operating cost for each vehicle
- Prepare monthly updates to the asset and inventory register
- Receive all approved Purchase Requisitions for goods and services, verify that all appropriate authorizations (budget holders, CR, HoR as appropriate) are completed and sort all received requisitions by categories for the HR / Administration Officer’s attention
- Track the status of each procurement request and provide weekly update to budget holders / requestors
- Under guidance / direction of the Administration officer, participate in soliciting, obtaining and documenting bids for purchases below GBP 500 or as guided by the HR / Administration Officer.
- Complete Bid Comparison documents as requested by the Administration Officer and act as Secretary of the Bid review committee as may be delegated.
- Originate payment requests for goods and services procured / delivered as per contract with WaterAid
- Completion of a 4 - year undergraduate degree course in social sciences, business sciences or administration, law or related field from a reputable university
- Completion of National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) programme no more than 5 years before date of application
- A Master’s degree in any of the fields listed as essential
Work Experience / Specific Knowledge
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- Demonstrate a keen aptitude and appetite for learning and personal development
- Demonstrate WaterAid values
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a variety of people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability and willingness to travel to the field
- Computer proficiency (Office software, internet and email)
- Interest in development career in development / NGO sector
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work - Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work
- Monitoring - Monitoring / Assessing performance of self to make improvements or take corrective action
- Attention to details - Ability to follow precise procedures and complete routine tasks / activities without errors
- Written and Oral Expression - Communicating information and ideas in writing and speaking so others will easily understand
- Analytical Thinking - Analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems
- Information Processing - Compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying information or data
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision - making
- Initiative - willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges
- Show Initiative and be creative - Willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges
- Service Orientation and good interpersonal skills
Our People Promise
- We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, and a commitment to playing their part in changing normal. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
- In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed