Grassroots Researchers Association (GRA), situated in 3 States in Northeastern Nigeria, and Youth Initiative Against Terrorism (YIAT), based in Yobe State, Nigeria - in consortium with Dr. Denis Mukwege Foundation (The Hague, Netherlands) - have launched a twenty-four (24) month project funded by the European Union (EU), as represented by European Commission.
GRA and YIAT are recruiting the position below for the term of the Project:
Job Title: State Coordinator
Reference No: GRA - YIAT - RPC / MAG / 04 / 21 / 001; 001a (Borno), GRA - YIAT - RPC / YLA / 04 / 21 / 002; 002b (Adamawa), GRA - YIAT - RPC / DTR / 04 / 21 / 003; 003b (Yobe)
Locations: Yola - Adamawa, Damaturu - Yobe and Maiduguri - Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Anticipated Starting Date: May 2021
Purpose of the Project
- The Project aims to support conflict-affected youth in Northeastern Nigeria to participate in a meaningful and structured way, at local and national levels, in conflict prevention, the protection of civilians, peacebuilding, mediation and conflict resolution efforts, actively promoting the rights of the most vulnerable in society, and therefore supporting the attainment of SDG 16 on promoting just, peaceful and inclusive societies.
- The State Coordinator will be responsible for facilitating and guiding conflict-affected youth groups in the duty station State to implement Project activities through which their membership will seek to influence policy or practice in some or all of: transitional justice, democratic governance, and security and peacebuilding.
- The State Coordinator will be involved in timely and effective Project and activity planning and implementation, monitoring and evaluation, stakeholder engagement, and regular reporting based on donor guidelines and Project and organizational policies. The incumbent will work within a local coordination committee (LCC) on day-to-day operations and will report directly tothe hiring organization’sProgram Manager.
Key Responsibilities (in each duty station State)
Project Management and Development:
- Work with the hiring organization’s Project Manager and implementing partners to develop and update monthly, quarterly and annual work plans.
- Ensure financial and logistical preparation of activities in line with work plan and Project strategy.
- Assistin forming conflict-affected youth into clubs/groups and, over the course of the Project,developing their capacities in leadership, organizational development, personal safety and well-being, communication, as well as their abilities to advance their goals related to one or more of: democratic governance, peace building and transitional justice.
- Assist in inception mapping of potential programming intervention areas in one of: transitional justice, democratic governance, and security and peacebuilding.
- Facilitateregularyouth group membership meetings; supportyouth membership within the duty station State to investigate specific substantive topics of interest to them; and guide their coordinators to carry out their leadership roles.
- Facilitate interaction among youth group membership within the duty station State and similar clubs organized under the Project in other States.
- Support youth membership to develop and implement their own strategies and activity plans at the community, state and national level, including joint initiatives for strategic dialogues targeting policy makers and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the hiring organization’s Project Manager to provide regular security and context analysis which will inform program adaptation.
- Monitor and facilitate safe, harmonious, and orderly proceedings for and among youth participants in the Project activities.
- Contribute to program design and support the preparation of concept notes, proposals, and Project communications, including official social media, channels, letters, news articles and speech transcripts.
Reporting, Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Contribute to developing and implementing the Project M&E plan.
- Collect quantitative and qualitative information during activities in line with M&E plan.
- Support Project assessments, at inception, mid-term and end-of-Project evaluations, including participating in data collection.
- Prepare activity reports and contribute to donor reports.
- Collect case study information and follow-up with Project participants.
Finance / Budget and Asset Management:
- Ensure project finances and assets are used in line with donor and organizational policies.
- Ensure project expenditures (including implementing partners’ activities) occur within the planned time frame and approved budgets.
- Work with the Project accountant(s) to ensure timely financial reporting, responsible record keeping, and accountability in line with donor rules.
- Provide necessary support during any Project audit.
- Monitor and address or report any risks to management.
Coordination with Employer Staff and Other Stakeholders in the Region:
- Participate actively in management processes of the Project team, including team meetings, sharing of information, context analysis, strategy development, and oversight of junior staff.
- Coordinate seamlessly with other State Coordinators hired under the Project, within and across State lines.
- Conduct any other reasonable activities as determined by the hiring organization’s Project Manager.
Local-level Networking and Collaboration:
- Work with (I)NGOs and other stakeholders to learn about and create opportunities for the youth membership to engage in formal policy formulation and/or monitoring at the implementation stage of adopted policy and law, especially as relates to WPS 1325 and UNSCR 2250.
- Participate in relevant state level strategic forums, as delegated by the Project Manager.
- Engage and work closely with relevant state, local government, and community level networks/ institutions/organizations, to build and maintain effective strategic linkages, relations, and collaborations for effective implementation under the Project.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in relevant field
- At least 5 years of work experience in peacebuilding, transitional justice, democratic governance or similar field. Experience with an international NGO would be an asset.
- Demonstrated experience working in northern Nigeria.
- Experience working on youth engagement interventions.
- Experience working in a trauma-informed manner with vulnerable populations, such as with SGBV survivors is considered an asset.
- Excellent coordination and communication skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work under pressure and in a high-risk security environment.
- High moral integrity.
- English (oral and written), and Hausa fluency. Knowledge of any other languages prevalent in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe would be an advantage.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications addressed to "The Executive Director" via: firstname.lastname@example.org using the "Position Title and Reference Number" as the subject of the email.
- Applicants should indicate whether they are applying to the State Coordinator role within GRA, YIAT, or both. If no preference is indicated, it will be assumed applicants wish to be considered for hire by both organizations at the specified duty station State.
- Whether applying to GRA, YIAT, or both organizations,in ALL cases, applicants must submit their applications. Any applicant that did not quote the reference number correctly would be disqualified.
- All applications must include 1-page Cover Letter and CV (4 pages maximum).
- Applications must be sent as a single PDF or MS Word attachment not later than 20thApril, 2021 by 12:00pm (WAT).
- Due to the expected large number of applications received, only applicants short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
- GRA and YIAT encourage applications from qualified and experienced women.
- Staff of GRA and YIAT are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for human rights, for diversity/gender, and for non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for the advertised positions.
- Neither GRA nor YIAT charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc.). Neither GRA nor YIAT concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed