Dashboard / Visualization Developer in R / Shiny (Consultancy) at the African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) - 3 Openings
The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET), is a non-profit networking and service alliance of Field Epidemiology (and Laboratory) Training Programs (FELTPs), and other applied epidemiology training programs. AFENET has operations in over 31 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa or the World Health Organisation Africa Region (WHO – AFRO). Established in 2005, AFENET is dedicated to helping Ministries of Health in Africa build strong, effective, sustainable programs and capacity to improve public health systems on the African continent.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Dashboard / Visualization Developer in R / Shiny (Consultancy)
Slot: 3 Openings
- The consultant will be responsible for turning datasets into interactive dashboards, and supporting the cleaning and structure of these datasets to be incorporated into the dashboards.
- The consultant will also be expected to know and apply best-practice design principles, and advise on design and implementation considerations.
- Additionally, the consultant should provide mentorship and guidance to other staff, both within AFENET team and to external stakeholders.
- This may include but not limited to preparing and delivering training, presentations; or ad-hoc support to resolve coding problems.
- Develop, maintain and deploy the front and backend code of the Shiny applications
- Cooperate with Product Owner, product team, and other developers from the team.
- Troubleshoot and bug fix issues reported by the technical team
- Create and maintain documentation
- Minimum Bachelor degree or higher in one of the related fields (Computer Science, Data Science, Health Informatics, Computer Engineering, and Mathematical Engineering ) or related field; or equivalent work-related experience
- Excellent programming skills in R
- Expertise in Functional and object-oriented programming in R
- Good knowledge of R package structure
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on experience with Shiny
- Hands-on experience with data visualization in R (ggplot2, plotly)
- Excellent experience developing interactive dashboards using Shiny package; applications should include links to portfolio and role in developing project
- Additional experience in enterprise software development and languages a plus; as are experience using other prominent visualization tools (such as D3, Tableau, Power BI, Qlik)
- Graphic design skills a plus
- Experience with good software engineering practices, including unit testing, technical
- documentation, code encapsulation and version control systems (Git)
- Basic knowledge of Continuous Integration principles and tools
- Experience working in diverse and geographically distributed teams
- Being a self-starter and problem solver; able to work independently; and comply with multiple, tight deadlines; and deliver highest quality results; applications should include references, which will be checked
- Creative, innovative problem solver: ability to turn data into compelling visualizations with the programming mettle to solve intractable problems to achieve results through beautiful code
- Excellent communication, advanced English reading, writing, listening and speaking
Nice to have skills:
- Knowledge of (bio)statistics and / or bioinformatics
- Experience with virtualization technologies (e.g. Docker) and Linux shell
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
You application should contain the following:
- Motivation letter, including discussion of understanding of assignment(s)
- Selected example(s) of related projects (dashboards, visualizations, web sites, web-tools) with URLs
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed