Health System Strengthening Officer at Action Against Hunger | ACF-International
Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health System Strengthening Officer
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Job type: Full Time
Start date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Health System Strengthening Manager
Tasks and Responsibilities
Objective 1 - Provision of support to strengthen the human resource for health:
- Support HSS manager to carry out health system assessment; diagnosis of health system in line with defined methodology and with technical support from Nutrition & Health HoD with the aim of identifying the gap in the targeted facilities, LGAs and state levels
- Organise and ensure dissemination of the finding from the assessment
- Work closely with HSS manager to identify the best strategy toward centralization and coordination of training of frontline health workers on continues medical education at the state level
- Actively participate at the selection of dedicated master trainers and organise the TOT training in conjunction with HSS manager
- Coordinate with nutrition and health sector manager to organise the training of frontline health workers
- Work with HSS manager to provide support to SMOH towards development of annual training plan and incorporation into the state AOP to ensure consistent funding for training
- Provide technical support to SMOH in the development of AOP to ensure all identified gaps in the health system are strategically captured
- Work with the advocacy team to support SMOH and SPHCMB in the adoption and institutionalization of CHIPS program and subsequent implementation at the selected LGAs
- Update stakeholder contact information at state level and targeted local and report to the HSS manager
- Develop health facility matrix for tracking gaps in service provisions, HRH, supplies, technical capacities, information management at the facility level and availability of policies/guidelines at state level
- Liaise with Nutrition and Health service delivery team; Community Mobilization teams and keep them updated about the identified gaps on a regular basis.
Objective 2 - Support and strengthen community participation in health system:
- Develop presentation on the LGA health governance structure with support from HSS Manager/N-H Project Manager for assigned LGA.
- In close collaboration with Public Health Coordinators/Officers, collect available LGA level health plans, Budgets and share with line manager or MPM.
- Provide required information to support development of health facility assessment, community assessment in liaison with Community Mobilization team.
- Support HSS Manager to organize workshops and meetings at LGA level in regards to HSS planning, follow up meetings etc.
- In collaboration with HSS manager, support the authorities at the selected LGAs to scale-up and strengthened Health Facility Management Committee (HFMC) and Ward Development Committee to ensure ownership and sustainability of interventions at the ward level
- Actively participate at the quarterly meeting with the HFMC and WDC
- Lead and follow up the implementation of the adapted BFHI policy at the facility level and ensure designation of targeted facilities as baby friendly.
Objective 3 - Project Management:
- Support HSS Manager in developing financial forecast in line with the HSS LGA activity plans
- Inform line manager about planning of workshops, trainings and/or meeting that requires financial advances and/or logistical procurement etc. at LGA level well in advance.
- Inform transport planning/requirement to line manager for any particular activity at LGA level well in advance using predefined tools.
- Review and update budget planning including HSS related follow up regular activities on a regular basis and share with line manager.
- Maintain close collaboration with public health coordinators/officers and other partners in the assigned LGA
Objective 4 - Follow up of the HSS action plan with ACTION AGAINST HUNGER teams and external stakeholders working in the targeted LGAs:
- Conduct periodic observation visits to health facilities and update the HSS action plan follow up tool
- Draft summary report on the progresses made at LGA level, challenges and way forward and inform line manager on a monthly basis
- Organize periodic meetings with health facility to update the health facility matrix on the pre-identified indicators (6 building blocks)
- Directly engage with LGA HIS officers to ensure that DHIS2 reporting from all supported health facilities are completed in time
- Inform line manager in case if there are need to engage with any state level health care department or agency for raising particular challenges at LGA level.
Objective 5 - Information management, reporting and coordination:
- Ensure that all training database for master trainers are collected from and archived with all necessary details
- Identify key progresses, gaps and challenges with proposed solutions from the monthly follow up visits, health facility matrix updates and inform line manager
- Organize and lead the LGA based monthly coordination meetings and support LGA teams on structuring LGA coordination mechanisms with health workers and partners
Objective 6 - Performance Management:
- Communicate Action Against Hunger performance standards and expectations to team members which includes ; 10 minutes monthly conversation, 3 months/end of probation performance appraisal and annual/ end of contract appraisal.
- Establish performance objectives, provide feedback, identify strengths and areas for professional improvement.
- Contribute to the professional development and improvement of team members by providing support.
Internal and External Relationship
- HSS Manager: Line manager
- N/H sector Manager : Exchange of information
- MPM/Field Co: exchange of information
- Nutrition and Health HoD : technical support – exchange of information, coordination
- Logistic/HR/Finance Managers: functional collaboration and exchange of information
- Other sectorial team; Exchange of information, coordination
- SPHCDA, SMOH,LGA Authority: direct technical and facilitation support, Close collaboration, training and workshop facilitation support.
- Bachelor’s degree in Medicine/Public Health/Nursing/Nutrition
Skills and Experience:
- At least 1 years post NYSC experience in primary health care system;
- Previous supervisory role is required will be added advantage
- Fluency in spoken and written English language; Hausa language will be added advantage
- Working knowledge of MS office.
- Work experience in humanitarian settings;
- Experience of working in partnership with or directly with Ministry of Health is preferable;
- Good understanding Nigeria public health structure
- Ability to manage wide range of stakeholders for collaboration, coordination and consultation at LGA level.
Application Closing Date
Thursday, 25th July, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Apply via EmploymentNigeria
Note: Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed