Community Engagement and Information Assistant at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world's leading crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and natural disasters. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women's empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Engagement and Information Assistant
Requisition ID: req5899
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Scope Of Work
- The IRC is implementing a protection program featuring strengthening of community based protection structures, capacity building, protection monitoring, information dissemination and referral services. The IRC is also building capacity of government authorities, local organizations and local communities around protection mainstreaming and protection monitoring. The protection program is currently implemented in the NE states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe
- Under the supervision of the Protection Officer, the Community Engagement and Information Assistant will work closely with the Protection Assistants to ensure the smooth implementation of protection programming in the areas of operation. The Community Engagement and Information Assistant will have the lead role of mobilizing local communities and conducting awareness raising sessions and other community engagement activities.
- The Community Engagement and Information will be the focal points in the establishment and oversight of community based feedback and complaint mechanisms in target communities.
- The Community Engagement and Information Assistant will be based in Damaturu. S/he reports to the Protecttion Officer.
- Assist the Protection Officer in planning, coordination, execution and monitoring of the capacity building and information dissemination activities such as training, production of IEC materials, information dissemination planning etc.
- Take lead in mobilizing target communities for protection and other IRC related activities.
- Engage community members in design, planning, executing, and monitoring of community based protection activities.
- Work closely with other IRC staff to create awareness and conduct information dissemination activities.
- Participate in the design, planning, and execution of protection activities in the area of jurisdiction.
- In coordination with other Protection staff, take part in identification of new target locations.
- Participate in data collection, vulnerability screening and assessment such as community needs assessment including identification of beneficiaries in need of assistance.
- Be the link between IRC Protection staff and the target local communities.
- Establish, oversee and manage community feedback mechanisms in target locations.
- Hold community meetings with key stakeholders to identify community needs and concerns
- Take lead in budgeting of all community engagement related activities in consultation with the Protection Manager.
- Support Protection Officers in identifying and selecting most vulnerable individuals.
- Support referral process by notifying Protection Officers of key Protection issues and concerns identified in target areas.
- Establish good working relationship with relevant stakeholders such as camp officials, local community leaders, traditional leaders etc.
- Ensure that information collected on target beneficiaries is disaggregated by age and sex.
- Keep record of all community engagement activities implemented and relevant stakeholders in target communities.
- Ensure timely preparation of monthly work plans as well as preparation and submission of weekly and monthly reports.
- Attend regular internal Protection sector meetings.
- Carry out other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- University degree in Social Work, Psychology or a related field.
- 2 years’ experience implementing protection programming including experience in emergency or post-conflict project management
- Demonstrated experience using international human rights standards in protection programming
- Excellent communication skills, cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
- Experience in using community based and participatory approaches.
- Experience in community mobilization and awareness creation.
- Experience in working in remote and hard to reach areas with limited amenities
- Ability to live and productively work under stress and in insecure and harsh environments while maintaining a sense of humor.
- Must be female with knowledge of the local language (Kanuri and Hausa)
Standards of Professional Conduct
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Note: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed