Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Programme Coordinator - Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Report to: MEAL Manager Salary Band D
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length: 6 months
- The role holder will support Christian Aid’s response to the humanitarian crisis in Nigeria with special focus on monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning sector interventions.
- The role will support Christian Aid’s funded programmes which are implemented by Christian Aid and its partners in Borno and other Northeast states.
- The role holder will assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of Christian Aid’s MEAL & humanitarian response, providing effective and timely support (including capacity building) to liberated communities and partner organizations, enabling them to implement the rapid, effective and principled MEAL response to emergencies, and ensuring that this is in line with Christian Aid’s country strategy and Humanitarian Standards.
- The role holder will be representing CAID in relevant sector working groups meetings/activities and engage in the right networks, while increasing the profile of CA Humanitarian and Resilience work and its visibility in the region.
- Project proposals prepared which are based on strong planning, monitoring and evaluation procedures and financial policies and procedures complied with including reporting requirements.
- Decisions on supporting projects informed by Christian Aid’s strategy and strategic focus areas and strong program of institutional support and strengthening for Partners in place.
- Strong linkages between partner work & MEAL within the country programme, UK and Ireland, developed through positive relations.
- Clear and timely policy positions developed for standing and emergency issues and humanitarian strategy developed for the region or continent which reflects country priorities.
- Strong synergy between regional or continental strategy and Corporate MEAL Priorities developed and strong development of relationships with partners, ecumenical networks, sector clusters, and policy makers in the program region, continent and globally.
- Partner and beneficiary engagement successfully led.
- Expected travel per annum - Occasional travel
- On call/unsocial hours - Yes, in event of Christian Aid response to humanitarian emergency.
- Surge capacity for emergency responses - Choose an item.
- In order to respond to ever changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project based working approach the norm.
- To sustain this system, managers may/will agree further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement.
- Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
- The role is in the MEAL program family. The role is key in developing and implementing programs strategy across a country program.
- The role also manages a team who recommend projects to partners and engage in Christian Aid Humanitarian response.
- The role ensures Christian Aid is represented appropriately and positive relationships are developed through the MEAL work that this role is involved in.
Applied Skills / Knowledge and Expertise
- The post holder should have a first Degree in Social Sciences or B.Sc in Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Engineering with 4–5-year experience of working in humanitarian response with local and/international partner organizations.
- Strong positive attitude and ability to manage a wide range of issues of complicated procedures, indicated by 4-5 years learning period.
- She/he has at least a 5-year humanitarian response experience in MEAL programming.
- Familiar with MEAL context in the North-East Nigeria.
- Ability to communicate fluently in Hausa and English language.
- External: Will represent the organization at some levels with government, partners and other humanitarian agencies, and advocate for the organization’s philosophy and policies.
- Internal: The position is line managed by the MEAL Manager. Has a key role in ensuring good relations with other roles in communications, fundraising and Programme planning and all in- country and global staff.
Budgetary / Savings Responsibility - N/A:
- Make decisions in order to manage team effectively, from recruitment of volunteers and program staff to day-to-day management of team members.
- Also providing technical input and overall leadership to the humanitarian MEAL team.
- Day to day decision to ensure partner portfolio projects are running effectively and higher levels decisions on supporting the projects informed by Christian Aid's strategy and strategic focus areas.
- Makes decisions around project proposals, ensuring they are prepared and comply with reporting requirements.
- Make policy decisions that support standing and emergency issues.
- Contribute to shaping and implementing MEAL strategy, making sound decisions to support this.
- Works on complex specialist/ technical issues. Problems and issue, risks and benefits may have implications across a number of departments.
- Required to develop new ways of doing things to better meet program goals requiring substantial creative or analytical ability.
- Developing self and others: The post holder has direct responsibility for developing, coaching and motivating a team or teams of colleagues/project team members. Focus will be on advising and guiding senior management on policy issues/high level procedures and direct line management responsibility may be limited.
- Will have formal responsibility for others including direct responsibility for performance management and developing plans to improve the performance of partner staff, volunteers, direct reports or others; will have project management responsibility for directing work of others and taking responsibility for ensuring that work quality and professional standards are maintained.
Role Related Checks:
- Child protection clearance Standard Counter terrorism screening Required
Digital / IT Competencies Required:
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint - Advanced
- Web content design & development - Advanced
- Internet based collaboration tools and video calling - Intermediate
- Social Media - Intermediate
- Data Visualisation - Advanced.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed