Counselling Psychologist at the American University of Nigeria
ADAMAWA , YOLA ,
The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Counselling Psychologist
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Department: Student Affairs
Summary of Position
- The Counseling Psychologist, Student Affairs is charged with the responsibility of advocating and helping students achieve personal, social, and emotional success.
- The duties shall include but not limited to individual counseling, group therapy, behavioral disorders, substance abuse disorders, youth, and crisis counseling in accordance with established policies and procedures of the American University of Nigeria.
- University-age students face many new challenges, and the Counseling Psychologist is a vital support person for students as they navigate young adulthood.
- Some of these challenges include anxiety, which can relate to life and career decisions or relationship challenges with family, new friends, roommates, new romantic relationships, or understanding expectations of their professors.
- University students can also lapse into depression over grades or other stress-related to university life, and this can lead to self-harm behaviors, drug or alcohol abuse, or trauma reactions.
- Some students develop eating disorders or feel marginalized or bullied. As a development university, we provide the support necessary to help our students develop the skills necessary to manage all of these new challenges, and the counseling psychologist is on the frontline as a safety net and reassurance that we provide a safe environment for all students to succeed.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- Assist students in identifying problems – emotional, mental, and behavioral – in their lives.
- Work with students to diagnose any existing potential disorders through observation, interviews, and tests.
- Provide individual planning sessions to students in the areas of planning and success, and social/emotional development, stress management, and other anxieties in accordance with the planned objectives of the University.
- Interpret tests, student data and other assessment result appropriately in the counseling environment.
- Provide individual counseling in response to student requests and student emergencies
- Provide diagnosis and treatment of mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders.
- Advocate for equal access to programs and services for all students.
- Plan, implement, maintain and evaluate the systems necessary for the support, maintenance, and improvement of the University counseling program.
- Maintain a comprehensive record-keeping system in concert with the medical record-keeping system employed at the University Health Center.
- Provide referrals to the University Health Center for cases warranting more serious intervention, for consultation with a psychiatrist or hospital care.
- Being on call for emergency situations and working directly with the University Health Center to maintain an open channel of communication.
- Articulate the University counseling program to students, and members of the University community through designated marketing strategies, such as mental health day programs, awareness campaigns, workshops open to all students for stress management and other topics, outreach programs, etc. – a full calendar of events throughout the academic year.
- Develop and maintain skills needed to utilize technology systems and participate in professional development activities.
- Promote an understanding and appreciation of diverse populations and cultures.
- Participate in strategic decision-making and activities, which contribute to the effective operation of the Student Affairs division and the University as a whole.
- Cooperate and collaborate with other professionals in enhancing the education of students.
- Communicate with students, faculty, and staff, as to the role of the University counseling program in the overall educational process of the University.
Requirements for the position
- A Master's Degree in Psychology from a recognized University plus five years experience garnered as a Counselling Psychologist. Preference will be given to individuals with a strong clinical background.
- Experience of working in an academic environment is highly beneficial.
- Should possess strong organizational, planning, and student-relation skills.
- Should possess strong written and oral communications skills.
- Should be proficient in the use of Information and Communications Technology tools and e-resources.
Other Requirements, Abilities for the Position:
- Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality in the face of highly emotive and distressing problems with students and staff alike.
- Ability to develop a work schedule, set goals, create and implement action plans and monitor progress towards goals.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Skill in typing/word processing and use of personal computer/software.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in all assessments and evaluations.
- Assure discreet handling of all issues.
- Perform to earn the full confidence required of a Counselling professional.
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively with others.
- Work under pressure.
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as per AUN salary scale.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Resumes, Cover Letters and References on a single file in a word document or PDF format to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click here to apply online
- This position is a local position and is open to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- AUN is an equal opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race creed, colour, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion and marital status. For information on AUN, visit our Web site at www.aun.edu.ng.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed