Communications Associate at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
ABUJA , NIGERIA ,
IT and Telecoms
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations' global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Associate
Job ID: 37772
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area - Job Family: Management - COMMUNICATIONS
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of the Communications Unit, the Communications Associate supports the implementation of the communications strategy and plans to ensure effective and efficient communication of UNDP with its partners, the media and targeted audiences.
- The Communications Associate works in close collaboration with Programme and Operations staff of UNDP Nigeria CO and designate representatives of key stakeholders.
- The Communications Associate promotes a client-oriented approach geared to influence the development agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilize political and financial support for UNDP.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support effective implementation of UNDP Nigeria communications strategy;
- Technical support in organizing public events, managing and supporting effective media relations and information dissemination;
- Support the development of publication and communication materials;
- Photography and video production support for UNDP Nigeria events and missions .
- Facilitation of internal knowledge building and knowledge sharing with UNDP Nigeria staff.
Support implementation of UNDP communications strategy and plans by conducting various communication related activities, producing communications products and performing quality assurance control:
- Identify, propose and support communication opportunities and activities in line with the UNDP Nigeria Communications Strategy and work plans of office sections, projects and programmes;
- Provide writing, editorial and graphic design support for communication and public information needs of the Nigeria Country Office including concept notes, background information, talking points and briefing materials.
- Draft success stories, human interest stories and other communications products that amplify the impact of UNDP Nigeria’s work for distribution on relevant channels;
- Provide photography and video production support for UNDP Nigeria events, launches and missions on an as needed basis.
- Co-ordinate with communications solutions agencies (creative agencies, film-makers and radio content producers, PR/media agencies, design studios for creative outputs), for the development of comunication products and scheduling/completion of tasks.
- Assist with the development and management of internal communications systems and activities.
- Support with preparation and organization of events e.g. workshops, high level events, conferences, programme and report launches, IPs and partners’ meetings.
Provide Media Relations Support to UNDP Nigeria CO:
- Maintain and develop effective working relationships with local and international media representatives;
- Organize media meetings such as press conferences, press briefings for CO events;
- Draft and diseminate media kits: including press releases, media advisories, key messages etc.;
- Strengthen and maintain database of media contacts;
- Enhance media coverage for targeted events and stakeholders, including social media;
- Organize, store and manage database of photos’ and film footage of UNDP Nigeria programmes, missions and events.
Lead and Manage UNDP Nigeria CO Websites and Social Media Channels:
- Manage UNDP Nigeria websites and social media channels;
- Develop weekly content plans for UNDP Nigeria digital channels
- Ensure use of online channels is in line with UNDP global guidelines and best practices;
- Develop communications content tailored for largescale digital communication campaign.
- Manage implementation of administrative and financial tasks related to Communications Unit’s work:
- Conduct tasks related to administrative, procurement and financial support of daily operations of the Communications Unit
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on creation of effective communications and dissemination of information on UNDP as UN’s global development network.
- In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation of UNDP communications and publication strategies with a view to deliver sustained visibility as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary School Education, Or University Degree in Social Sciences; (preferably Communications, Journalism or Political Science)
- Experience: 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy.
- Or 02 years of experience with a University degree.
- Experience in digital marketing and managing social media platforms.
- Experience in creating multimedia content and working with web-based management system.
- Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
Preparing Information for Advocacy:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate.
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contacts:
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on communication/partnership related issues.
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic Research and Analysis:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge / Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline:
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position.
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals.
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate
Research and Data analysis:
- Promotes awareness of UNDP’s centrally to development through dissemination of information and materials.
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Preparing information for global advocacy:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences.
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts.
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
Research and Analysis:
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise
- Identifies opportunities for conceptual innovation
Establishing effective client relationships:
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion.
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
- Creating synergies through self-control.
- Managing conflict.
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Proficiency in both oral and written English, knowledge of local language is considered an asset .
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important applicant information:
- Qualified Female Candidates are Strongly encouraged to apply.
- All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.
- We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed