Consultant - Logistics Work Stream at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, health and emergency programming.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Short Term Consultant for Logistics Work Stream as a Member of the Campaign Technical Assistant Team (CTAT) Global Fund Supported ITN Mass Campaign
Employment Type: Contract
- Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity, or nationality. As CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, strengthening and building the capacity of partner organizations is fundamental to the work of CRS. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on health, vulnerable children, agriculture, extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
- CRS has a long and rich history of collaboration with the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (Global Fund). In Nigeria, CRS has been a Co-Principal Recipient (PR) for the Global Fund Malaria grant since January 2017. As a Co-PR, CRS partnered with the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP), various state governments and malaria partners and stakeholders to coordinate and implement the 2017 long lasting insecticidal nets (LLIN) mass campaigns in 6 states. CRS also supervised and monitored an SR and supported a range of malaria treatment and prevention services at the state level.
- For the 2018-2020 Global Fund Malaria grant, CRS remained a Co-PR with NMEP, strengthening the synergy and collaboration with NMEP to improve efficiency and impact. CRS worked closely with NMEP, Society for Family Health (SFH), Malaria Consortium, various state governments and other stakeholders to coordinate and implement the 2018-2020 long lasting insecticidal net (LLIN) mass campaigns in 13 states. CRS provided oversight and ICT4D leadership for the LLIN campaigns and implemented directly in some of the states. In addition to SFH, CRS provided oversight to 2 other SRs (Management Sciences for Health and Malaria Consortium), in providing support to the 13 states supported by the Global Fund, for a range of malaria treatment and prevention services at the state level. These services included Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention (SMC) implemented by Malaria Consortium with oversight from CRS.
- For the 2021-2023 Global Fund Malaria grant, CRS will remain a Co-PR with NMEP and provide robust oversight to the 3 SRs (Society for Family Health, Management Sciences for Health and Malaria Consortium). CRS will work closely with NMEP, 3 SRs and other partners, to scale up the implementation of life saving interventions and improve access to quality malaria services in the 13 GF supported states. These critical interventions include malaria treatment and prevention services such as Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention, LLIN campaigns, Social and Behaviour Change campaign, and testing and treatment interventions.
- This Terms of Reference (TOR) provides the description and work to be done during the implementation of Insecticide Treated Nets (ITN) mass campaign in Nigeria.
Summary and Purpose of the Consultancy
- The Campaign Technical Assistants Team (CTAT) structure was established to support states with the planning and implementation of the ITN distribution activities. The CTAT play a critical function for the initial mass distribution campaigns, a role focused on planning, facilitation, capacity-building, monitoring, data management and reporting during the mass campaigns.
- The CTAT will support a broadened state structure for the mass campaigns. Each CTAT is composed of work streams - technical, logistics and demand creation.
- The purpose of this consultancy is to serve as a member of the Campaign Technical Assistants Team (CTAT)) and provide state-level technical assistance and oversight on logistics-related activities for the successful coordination of insecticide treated nets (ITN) mass campaigns.
- S/he will provide training, accompaniment and technical support to the State Ministries of Health in the mass campaign states.
Objective of the Consultancy
- The overall objective of this consultancy is to support in the implementation of ITN mass campaign by providing technical assistance and oversight on activities to State Malaria Elimination Programmes.
- Facilitate and/or monitor training for personnel at all levels of the supply chain (state, LGA, ward, conveyor and distribution point teams).
- Monitor the transport and storage of ITNs throughout the supply chain (state warehouse to LGA warehouse, and LGA warehouse to distribution point storage.)
- Verify storage points, and ITNs in store, relative to both needs for campaign and waybill from delivery.
- Participate in the in-process monitoring during household mobilization and ITN distribution, and support state implementation teams to analyse data for presentation at daily review meetings.
- Track nets delivered, distributed and remaining on a daily basis.
- Collate data from ITN distribution to ensure timely reconciliation and implementation of reverse logistics
- Prepare, update and share Logistics Plan of Action with other CTAT members and relevant units within CRS/SRs on a weekly basis.
- Provide weekly update to the technical workstream consultant to collate as weekly update from the campaign state.
- Prepare logistics report during the ITN campaign and submit to the team lead at the end of the exercise in a state.
- Prepare and submit detailed logistics specific microplanning and ITN campaign report to technical workstream consultant for consolidation and onward submission.
- Submit detailed consultancy report clearly highlighting your specific tasks/role during the activity at least 7days after completion of the activity.
Schedule of Deliverables:
- The work will usually be completed over a period of 19 days for microplanning and 53 days for ITNcampaign implementation per state campaign implementation schedule. However, the number of days may change in some situations.
The consultant should possess the following combination of skills and expertise:
- Minimum of First Degree in Social Sciences or related fields.
- Excellent leadership qualities.
- Previous experience in ITN mass distribution campaigns.
- Knowledge of malaria and its prevention, diagnosis and treatment is required.
- Previous experience working in a National and/or State Ministry of Health preferred.
- Experience in budget development and implementation reporting is required.
- Experience with a flexible approach to managing and prioritizing significant workloads and multiple tasks, in a fast-paced environment, with tight deadlines is required.
- Training and supervision skills.
- Excellent technical writing and oral presentation skills are highly desired.
- A proven ability to work as part of a team and independently.
- Excellent experience in using Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions and to remain flexible and calm under pressure.
- Experience of proactively identifying and addressing bottlenecks/issues desired.
- Experience of establishing strong working relationships with team members and state personnel.
- Experience and understanding of Supply Chain activities.
- Previous experience in electronic data monitoring systems desired.
Management Arrangements and Follow-up:
- The Global Fund Malaria project unit will provide overall supervision and management of the consultancy. Focal contact person on this consultancy shall be the Senior Manager, Vector Control or the designee.
Key Working Relationships/Organizations:
- Internal: Logistics, Technical and Demand Creation work stream Advisors, Project Officer-Mass Campaign, Global Fund Malaria Program Team, Deputy Country Representative, Country Representative, Operations Manager, Finance, Procurement and Administration Staff, Regional and Senior Technical Advisors, Deputy Regional Directors for Program Quality and Management Quality.
- External: State Ministries of Health (SMOH), National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) within the Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH), technical and financial Partners, partner health facilities, Local Fund Agent (LFA), Global Fund Country Team, Chemonics, relevant Third party logistics agents.
Time and Level of Effort:
- This activity is expected to take place within a period of not more than 72 days per State Campaign microplanning and implementation schedule. The deliverables are expected to be timely and reports should be submitted no later than 7 days after the completed state campaigns.
Location of the Consultancy:
- The consultancy will take place in any of the campaign states.
- A daily rate of N15,000 will be paid as consultancy fees. This will be paid upon completion of specific deliverables listed above and submission of detailed activity report, consultant report and timesheet reviewed by your workstream advisor, then mass campaign officer and duly signed by the Senior Manager Vector Control.
- In addition, and if applicable, you will be entitled to DSA which comprises accommodation and meals (excluding any meal provided for). CRS/SR will be responsible for providing flight and/or road transportation as required for your work.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expression of Interest (EOI) along with their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The applicant’s name and reference code for the consultancy “NG4560 (L)” should be the subject of the application email. (i.e. Applicant’s Name - NG4560 (L)).
- Qualified and Interested consultants should apply on or before the closing date and time and Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any submission after the deadline or with the wrong email subject may be disqualified.
- Please note that CRS/SR will deduct and remit to the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) a 5% withholding Tax from the total consultancy fees in accordance with the Nigerian Tax Law.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed