Principal Program Coordinator, PESA at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
Banking and Finance
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Program Coordinator, PESA
Position Number: 50104472
Location: Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
Position Grade: PL4
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth (PEVP)’ is a Sector Complex focusing broadly on the Bank’s TYS and High 5 priority of “Light up and Power Africa”.
- The complex’s objectives are:
- To develop policy and strategy;
- Provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering a pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions;
- Develop new financing instruments;
- Act as spokesperson for the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”.
- The Complex focuses specifically on areas of power systems development, policy and regulation, renewable energy and, climate and green growth.
- The Complex also ensures that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversees the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s energy operations in collaboration with the Regional Business Delivery Units (RBDUs).
The Hiring Department
- The Vice-President Front Office (PESA) is responsible for planning, directing, managing and coordinating the day-to-day functioning of the Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth Complex. The Program Coordinator provides required support to the Vice-President in performing their daily duties in the domain indicated above.
- The job covers support on operational aspects as well as on corporate matters. Emphasis is put on coordination and monitoring with the various PEVP departments and other Bank stakeholders.
- The purpose of the job is to assist the Vice-President to operationalize the PEVP Complex’s mandate by providing critical technical expertise on the Bank’s strategies, policies and operations, business development, and other responsibilities supporting the mandate.
- The job holder also assists with the coordination of complex activities and supports quality assurance on all key documents and presentations prepared for the VP.
Under the overall supervision of the Vice-President and the day-to-day coordination of the Advisor to the Vice-President, the Program Coordinator performs the following:
- Assist the Vice-President in day-to-day Agenda management and in monitoring the implementation of the Complex work programs;
- Track overall progress towards the New Deal targets, measuring key complex targets, e.g. generation capacity, connections etc. taking into account international best practice;
- Follow up, on behalf of the VP, on specific public and private sector transactions to ensure swift execution and implementation
- Prepare and attend to VP instructions for management coordination meetings and follow up on the decisions taken;
- Assist the VP Front office to ensure timely delivery of reports and information as required;
- Assist in coordinating work with other Sector Front Offices to prepare regular cross complex updates highlighting any issues requiring the attention of the Vice-Presidents;
- Assist in coordinating work with the Reginal VP Front Office and the Director Generals’ Front Offices regarding delivery of the lending program;
- Work with other colleagues to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole,
- while sharing knowledge and the workload;
- Support the Advisor to the VP in the management and development of strategic partnerships in the energy sector;
Strategies and policies:
- Assist the Vice-President on operational policies, strategies and corporate issues to be discussed at the Operations Committee (OpsCom), Senior Management Coordination Committee (SMCC) and other corporate engagements including regular budget reports;
- Prepare presentations on strategies requested by the Vice-President and speeches for missions;
- Provide assistance on papers, notes and Board documents, as requested by the Vice-President;
- Review incoming correspondences as instructed by the VP;
- Prepare Presentations, memoranda and correspondence with Stakeholders as and when required by the Vice-President;
- Develop standard Complex communication materials;
- Review content of presentations, language of correspondences, memoranda and reports submitted for the Vice President's signature/clearance for onward transmission to the President's Office;
- Assist the Advisor to the VP in the review, editing and amendment of all relevant submissions from the team to meet acceptable standards.
Compilation of Reports:
- Assist in providing all relevant reports with accurate & validated data and information as required by the VP or the Advisor to the VP to support decision making and relevant submissions to committees.
- Develop strong professional working relationships with colleagues and contribute to the creation of a positive team environment.
- Assist to develop a network of stakeholders and key role players that could provide inputs or enhance the output of the Vice President. Assist with communication, preparation of correspondences, memoranda and research topics for the Complex business agenda;
- Accompany the VP to relevant internal and external meetings;
- Represent the VP Front Office in internal and external meetings and events as required
- Minimum of a Master's Degree in Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Public Sector Management or related discipline.
- A minimum of 6 years of professional experience gained in a multilateral development finance institution or similarly structured organisation;
- Experience in project management/development, strategy and policy formulation, and evaluation
- Previous experience in the areas of energy and climate change would be an asset
- Previous experience in the areas of investment management and in assisting executive management would be an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to present and win support for ideas;
- Excellent listening skills with cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage innovations, creativity, and change;
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels;
- Client and results-orientation
- Strong communication skills;
- Ability to work with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing knowledge and workload, developing strong working relationships with colleagues and contribute to the creation of a positive team environment;
- High level of coordination skills;
- Ability to work under pressure in a multicultural and fast-paced organization.
- Ability to solve problems, identify solutions and manage multiple competing priorities to the benefit of both internal and external clients;
- Knowledge of strategies, policies, procedures and practices of multilateral development institutions.
- Strong analytical skills to generate relevant communication (both verbally and in writing) that features accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proven communication skills required for regular contacts with high level partners inside and outside the bank;
- Knowledge of the socio-economic, energy & climate and business environment in Africa;
- Knowledge and ability for deploying methodologies for building successful relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients (internal and external) for the effective delivery of results.
- Ability to deploy a strategic mind-set and the capacity to steer the front office’s agenda while empowering staff during a phase of institutional reforms and transformation towards greater quality and impact of the Bank’s operations;
- Strong negotiating skills;
- Knowledge in new development financing issues;
- Knowledge of Bank procedures, policies and guidelines;
- Research Skills: An ability to conduct thorough research using credible resources and acknowledge in any presentation or document;
- Report Writing Skills – the ability to provide sharp, concise factual documents focused on the audience that includes an analysis of situation/problem with recommendations for future actions & conclusions
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- This position is classified as an international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to "HR Direct" via: HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Apply for this Position:
- Regular Staff: If you are currently working at the African Development Bank as a regular staff, click on the button below to apply for this position.
- External Candidate: If you are not currently working at the African Development Bank, or if you are a Short Term Staff (STS), a Technical Assistant or a Consultant at the Bank, click on the button below to apply for the position.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed