Vacancy for a Driver at Save the Children Nigeria
CROSS RIVER , CALABAR ,
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Job ref.: 19000313
Location: Calabar, Cross River
Employee Status: Permanent
Post Type: National
- The driver is responsible for the safe driving of Save the Children International vehicle, staff and Assets.
- The Driver will ensure cleaning, proper maintenance of vehicles in compliance with the Driver’s handbook and safe driving standards, ensuring the vehicle is fuelled in time for trips and the proper management of the fuel supply for that vehicle.
- The driver should do so in accordance with SCI policies and procedures.
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- Maintain the vehicle log Book and fuel consumption documentation
- Keep the Vehicle Documents Folder up-to-date:
- Support the Fleet Officer/Log. Focal point with the Vehicle Usage report, including trip use, mileage and fuel consumption.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license, registration and valid permits all the time
Control of Vehicles:
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are authorized in advance by Budget Holders and Cleared by the Security Team.
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are to be recorded in the log book at the start and completion of the journey
- Ensure that the keys and vehicle documents are kept in a secure place when the vehicle is not in use.
- Ensure that s/he wears the vehicle safety belt and all passengers also wear seat belts before driving the vehicle.
On the road:
- Ensure that the line manager is immediately informed of any accidents, the Accident report is filled immediately and the accident reported to the police as soon as possible.
- Ensures safety of passengers at all times
- Safe transport of all staff, equipment, and materials
- Save the Children International has a no passenger policy – this relates to all non agency personnel and is for reasons of safety, the continuance and equity of the programme.
- Save the Children International may give lifts to agency and Governmental staff on occasion for the benefit of the programme – see passenger policy for details.
- SCI reserves the right to refuse entry to a vehicle any staff member without identification documents or who cannot be identified by SCI staff.
- In the event of a medical emergency lifts may be given on prior approval of the programme manager – see passenger policy for details.
- Check the vehicle prior to its use in the morning and after use
- Check the vehicle before departing from work.
- Check, on taking over a vehicle, that the items listed on the Vehicle Check List and the items listed in the Vehicle Tools and Materials Inventory are present and in full functioning order.
- A driver is to check for vehicle defects and damage to the vehicle and ensure that he reports them to his line manager. After consulting a mechanic, the line manager will make the decision as to whether the vehicle should be taken off the road for repair.
- Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assign vehicle.
Cleanliness & Visibility:
- The driver is responsible for ensuring that his vehicle is kept clean on the outside and inside at all times. The driver is also to keep the vehicle tidy and ensure that all rubbish is removed from the vehicle after a journey.
- Driver is to ensure SCI visibility protocols are adhered to at all times.
- Follow and abide by the traffic rules, SCI regulations, driver safety manual and any other instructions given by the Line Manager
- Maintain all vehicle’s safety equipment, as per vehicle safety kit, in liaison with the Fleet Officer/Log. Focal point – including first aid kit, communication equipment, tow rope and fire extinguisher.
- Work after duty hours or holidays as and when required and with prior notice from Line Manager
- Perform any other relevant and appropriate duty as may be requested by the Line Manager.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills & Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- A valid and clean driver’s license
- Should have 3-5 years experience of professional driving.
- Prior experience as a driver in an international NGO, UN agency or private company
- Ability to multi-task and work calmly under pressure is essential for this position.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in insecure environments is critical.
- Some practical experience of user vehicle maintenance.
- A proactive and flexible approach to work
- An ability to work with minimum supervision
- A systematic approach to work
- A people orientated person who enjoys working in a team
- A keen interest in self development
- A reliable, polite and professional attitude to ensure SCI is perceived as such.
- Working knowledge of the Save the Children Emergency Manual, Sphere, and Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Strong oral and written English language communication skills required.
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and frustrating working circumstances is required.
- Any additional skills and/or experience that could be used by Save the Children would be taken into account in the selection process
- A valid driving license
Application Closing Date
11th September, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: Apply via EmploymentNigeria
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed