Job Alert: Manager, Underwriting & Marketing at the African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re)
The African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re) is the leading African reinsurance company with headquarters in Lagos (Nigeria). Africa Re has six regional offices: Casablanca (Morocco), Abidjan (Côte d’Ivoire), Nairobi (Kenya), Lagos (Nigeria), Cairo (Egypt) and Ebene (Mauritius). The Corporation equally has two subsidiaries: African Reinsurance Corporation South Africa Ltd in Johannesburg (South Africa), Africa Retakaful in Cairo (Egypt) and one Local Office in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia).
Africa Re hereby announces the vacancy of the position below in her Anglophone West Africa Regional Office on the Professional Staff Grade level:
Job Title: Manager, Underwriting & Marketing
Qualifications And Professional Experience
Applicants shall be holders of:
- First University degree plus Master's in relevant fields plus 5 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience with emphasis on reinsurance underwriting (both Treaty and Facultative); reinsurance pricing ; claims management, risk survey and assessment. Or
- First University degree in relevant fields plus full professional qualification, plus 5 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience with emphasis on reinsurance underwriting (both treaty and Facultative); reinsurance pricing; claims management, risk survey and assessment. Or
- First University degree in relevant field plus 10 years post qualification relevant qualitative work experience with emphasis on reinsurance underwriting (both treaty and Facultative); reinsurance pricing; claims management, risk survey and assessment
- Relevant work experience in a reputable Insurance/Reinsurance organization at similar level is required;
- Relevant professional qualifications will be added advantage
- Reporting directly to the Regional Director, the Manager, Underwriting & Marketing will provide technical assistance to clients and manage the business relationship with all cedants and brokers in order to achieve profitability, liquidity, business growth and customer satisfaction on a sustainable basis in the Anglophone West Africa Region.
The duties of the Manager, Underwriting & Marketing shall comprise amongst others:
- Preparing renewal and new business quotation proposals to cedants and brokers.
- Regularly reviewing facultative and treaty acceptances ahead of renewal.
- Soliciting and receiving treaty offers from existing and potential clients, assessing such offers when received and determining whether or not to accept them in line with the Corporation’s underwriting policies/guidelines.
- Maintaining proper records of all business offers received and transactions concluded
- Attending to client correspondences, social and business functions as well as other related activities for overall marketing effectiveness.
- Ensuring that all the treaties and facultative contracts are processed and the cover notes signed and sent out to cedants or brokers.
- Monitoring the profitability of markets serviced and progress made towards the achievement of income targets in the assigned markets
- Paying regular market visits for new businesses and the renewal of existing business as well as obtaining market statistics and other relevant information for the Corporation’s strategic and operational use.
- Assist in reviewing and monitoring the proper processing of all technical transactions
- Reviewing all claims along with other claims supporting documentation, and ensuring proper processing and timely settlement of verified cash calls
- Carrying out risk surveys and giving risk improvement recommendations
- Providing training, advice and other forms of technical support to both staff and clients on a regular basis.
- Assisting Finance & Technical accounts in reviewing the reconciliation of cedant and broker accounts and recovering outstanding amounts due from them while also ensuring timely remittance of amounts due to them;
- Participate and provide data / input to the development, implementation and review of strategic, business development, marketing and operational plans as well as budgets for the Region;
- Ensure the timely rendition of all required reports relating to the underwriting and marketing function on clients, for consolidated reporting to the Head Office
- Attending to any other duties as may be assigned by the Regional Director and the Corporation’s management from time to time.
Main Competencies Required for this Position:
- Very good technical knowledge and professional proficiency, particularly with regard to Insurance and Reinsurance underwriting, Retrocession, Claims as well as risk assessment;
- Ability to quickly build good and sustainable relationship with the main brokers and cedants;
- Have very strong and proven managerial skills/experience,
- Demonstrated proficiency in evaluating the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one;
- Very Good analytical, planning and reporting skills.
- Capacity for synthesizing and reasoning
- Good communication and training skills
- Strong practical sales competences and skills
- High Integrity and proven sense of responsibility
- Ability to work under pressure
- Excellent computer skills required in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Practical knowledge of a reinsurance-related software will be an added advantage
Applicants must also be:
- Fluent in English language
- Working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
Salary & Benefits
The successful candidate shall have the following benefits:
- Competitive Basic Salary on the Corporation’s Professional Staff Grade Level
- Variable pay (Annual Performance Bonus)
- Joint contribution to the Provident Fund (7% of the basic salary paid by staff and 14% by the employer)
- Children education subsidy for each child up to 26 years (maximum 4 children)
- Medical cover for staff and family;
- Housing Allowance
- Home leave to country of origin every year paid by the employer (if non-national) ;
- Duty Post Differential (Cost of Living Allowance), that may increase or decrease depending on the economic situation, paid in local currency.
Application Closing Date
31st October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Apply via employmentNigeria
Note: The Company reserves the right to appoint at the advertised level or at any other level that may suit the profile, qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed