Job Alert: Division Manager - Operations Audit Division at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Division Manager - Operations Audit Division - PAGL.2
Location: Abidjan, Cote D'ivoire
Position N°: 50092359
- The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund. The President supervises several Departments and Units including: Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department;
- Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department
- The Office of the Auditor General provides independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and improve the Bank’s operations.
- It also assists the Bank to accomplish its strategic objectives by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes.
- The Office of the Auditor General is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and controlling a broad, comprehensive program of auditing and consulting/advisory services both internally and externally including, without limitation, all projects and programs of the Bank group.
- All the activities of the Bank, including corporate, financial, IT and operational activities, are under the purview of the Auditor General.
- The Office provides all levels of management and the Board with periodic, independent and objective appraisals and audits of financial, accounting, operational, administrative and other activities, including identifying possible means of improving accountability, efficiency of operations and economy in the use of resources.
- The Office of the Auditor General also provides advisory and consulting services to the Bank complexes regarding management control and reports, policies and systems development and reviewing new products and services in the design stages.
- The Office of the Auditor General (PAGL) comprises two divisions: the division responsible for institutional, financial and IT audits (PAGL.1) and the division responsible for operations audits (PAGL.2).
The primary role of the Manager – Operations Audit Division (PAGL.2) is to:
- Provide independent and objective assurance designed to add value and improve the Bank’s operations relating to financed projects in the Regional Member Countries, including identifying possible means of improving accountability, efficiency of operations and economy in the use of resources.
- Provide consulting and advisory services by offering expert advice and assistance to the Operations Complexes Management regarding management control and reports, policies and systems development, compliance with Bank rules and regulations and reviewing new products and services at the design stages.
- Ensure that necessary human and professional requirements of the operations audit division are in place; develop and maintain a qualified group of staff and an organizational structure that provides for the efficient and effective auditing and consulting/advisory services for Operations Complexes activities.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the Direct supervision of the Auditor General, the Manager – Operations Audit Division (PAGL.2) shall carry out the following duties:
- Developing a long-term internal audit strategic plan using appropriate risk-based methodology and in line with the Bank’s strategic objectives.
- Developing flexible annual audit plans covering the operations activities of the Bank (project cycle, country portfolio, specific programs/strategies, etc.), using appropriate risk-based methodology, including any risks or control concerns identified by management, and submitting that plan to the Auditor General for review and approval.
- Assigning and supervising the implementation of the internal audit annual work plan covering the operations activities of the Bank (at Headquarters and in Regional/Country offices), as approved, including, as appropriate, any special tasks or assignments requested by the President and/or the Board.
- Evaluating and assessing the impact of significant new or changing services, processes, operations, and controls on the Division’s activities.
- Liaising with the external auditors as appropriate, for the purpose of providing optimal audit coverage to the Bank.
- Reporting to management on significant issues related to the processes for controlling the activities of the Bank, including potential improvements to those processes.
- Assigning and supervising reviews of the effectiveness of the Bank's framework of risk management, control, and governance processes, as designed and implemented by management.
- Reviewing the reliability, accuracy and integrity of significant financial and automated management information systems, ensuring that such systems employ essential controls which minimize the risk of unauthorized activity.
- Assigning and supervising consulting and advisory services, beyond internal auditing assurance services, to assist management in meeting its objectives.
- Providing advice and assisting client departments on matters relating to internal controls.
- Undertake such other responsibilities deemed to be in line with the Institute of Internal Auditors standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
- Manage a team of professional level and support staff in providing efficient and high-quality services that support the business. Set realistic performance goals and motivate team members to meet them, both for individual staff and for the team as whole.
- Manage staffing and resources competently and responsibly to achieve the Division’s objectives.
- Be a collaborative member of the Management Team, contribute and share expertise and input and foster a collegial environment.
- Serve as a role model, leading by example, and building alignment and commitment. Courageous in challenging others to move the Bank forward.
- Build strong relationship management and understand the business needs to assist in developing practical and effective solutions.
- Promote collaboration and facilitate teamwork across teams and across organizational units.
- Maintain a high standard of professional integrity, treat individuals fairly and respectively and be sensitive to differences across culture, nationalities and gender.
- Provide on-the-job training and advice to relatively less experienced staff and supervise their work.
- Represent the Auditor General during his/her absence.
- Oversee the work and resources of the department.
- Participate in meetings with the Board, the President, Senior Management, External Auditors, and other stakeholders/partners.
- Attend international conferences and meetings and consult with counterparts in other similar organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Auditor General.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration and an internationally recognized Professional Accounting/Auditing Qualification (“Expert comptable” Chartered/Certified Public Accountant designation).
- A minimum of 8 years of substantial professional experience (of which three at the managerial level) in internal auditing and risk management work in auditing a large international institution or external audit environments in a large international firm. International exposure is a prerequisite.Experience in data analytics would be a plus.
- Strong ability to clearly communicate, write, present and defend audit findings and recommendations.
- Established reputation for integrity, good judgement, fairness and discretion in dealing with Senior Management, Staff and External Parties.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, attention to details and ability to work independently and manage challenges;
- Good interpersonal, supervisory, communication and analytical skills. Demonstrated capacity to influence and inspire team members.
- Strong leadership and coaching skills, with a proven track record of working with professional teams and creating an empowering and self-development-oriented work environment.
- Ability to work with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing the knowledge and the workload.Develop strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to creation of a positive team environment.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Proficient in use of the Bank standard software: Excel, Word, Power point; MS projects, Access, Visio, etc.
- Proficiency in use of computer Assister Audit Tools like ACL, PENTANA, Teammate, etc.
Application Closing Date
7th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Apply via EmploymentNigeria
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed