FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology - creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Coordinator (Nigerian Citizen)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Supervisor: Security Manager Nigeria, Advisor Africa
Job Type: Full time
To Start: ASAP
- The Security Coordinator will discharge his/her assignment under the direct authority and technical guidance of the FHI 360 Security Manager Nigeria & Adviser.
- He/she will work with the Response Coordinator for Integrated Humanitarian Assistance for Northeast Nigeria (IHANN). From time to time will work with Field Coordinators in ensuring FHI 360 programs, staff and assets remain safe and secure from threats.
- The Senior Security Coordinator role is to provide support in development and management of primarily Borno States’ safety & security strategy and provide support to the Security Manager on management of staff safety and security issues which will strive to support FHI 360 program implementation. He/she will work across existing and new programs in North East and may be called to other regions as may be necessary.
Dimensions of Role
- Daily & weekly security updates on incidents, trends and risk mitigation.
- Responsible for advising project Coordinators in their regions of the risks associated with staff working in complex and dynamic security environment in the North East, Nigeria.
- Liaise with other security actors in safe access to program areas
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist the State offices in developing and overseeing the day to day conduct of office security program, ensuring adequate responses to security incidents both natural and man-made.
- Provide technical security advice in consultation with the Security Manager on the existing and any new potential FHI 360 offices including site selection and establishment of effective physical and procedural security measures.
- Conduct security risk assessments for FHI 360 program expansion areas in the North East Manage physical security, fire safety and office evacuation drills periodically Conduct Hotel assessments in liaison with travel office for a safety and security approval process
- Establish a network with other key security players for information sharing and joint lobbying on security matters where possible. Attend security meetings such as INSO, OSAC, UNDSS, INGO forum etc.
- Conduct onsite training for staff in the field of safety including personal safety, emergency evacuations, travel safety, relocation and evacuation
- Work with program staff in seeking security clearance for asset movements to operational areas Supervise and regularly appraise security contractors and Guard Companies as per agreement ensuring that all company policies and practices related to these are adhered to
- Provide advance security advice, security briefing to staff and visitors to respective States, ensure plans for tracking arrival, departure and accommodation Draft security advisories with advice on mitigation for circulation by the Security Manager or designee and general situation, specific incidents and periods of heightened threat.
- Conduct periodic briefing to Coordinators/Managers and all staff keeping them up-dated on security developments and/or risks that may affect FHI 360 operations and make recommendations to minimize risks. In conjunction with the Security Manager, deliver relevant security trainings.
- Ensure FHI 360 staff and visitors understand and behave in accordance to the Standard operating procedures, contingency plans and security briefings
Incident & Crisis management:
- Serve as the part of the Nigeria security unit, coordinator emergency/staff incidents involving FHI 360 Nigeria staff and assets, inform the Security Manager and recommend response actions.
- Coordinate the updating of FHI 360 Security management plan, develop specific contingency plans for review by the Security manager as required or directed
- Maintain and periodically test the security tree for the States in region covered Organize safety & security awareness, fire and life safety training for all staff Maintain and enhance the State’s travel management system to track the location and contact information for all visiting staff and consultants.
- Be part of the security management Team (SMT) and head the State Security team in crisis situation
Briefing and De-Brief:
- Visitors - Develop and deliver location specific safety and security briefings for all visitors on operating context New Employee Briefing - Deliver security orientation on personal safety, organizations security management framework, use of communication equipment (VHF, HF, Satellite phone) Post-incident debrief – de-briefing staff /visitors involved in security incidents and help in psychosocial support as well as identifying medical help.
Relocation & Evacuation:
- Plan for both security and medical evacuation for all locations and develop evacuation plan including roles, relocated staff, collection points, routes etc.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Degree level or relevant certification
- A formal security qualification or security management training work experience in complex environments (minimal 5 years) Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi ethnic team experience and knowledge of personnel and organizational security issues, threat/risk assessment, security management and security awareness in complex context.
- An ex-service man either from the Nigeria military or Police context or related field work in the North East. Prior experience with the UN system or international NGO is desirable.
- Experience in incident reporting, incident mapping, compilation of security reports and assessments
- Experience in training and coaching national and international staff in safety and security.
- Technical competency and training experience in field based communication systems, Thuraya and internet systems.
- Sound knowledge of humanitarian principals of humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence
- Strong report writing, analytical and interpersonal skills, competency in internet and Microsoft office systems including word, excel, power point, access and other database mapping systems.
Knowledge, skills and attributes:
- Experience working for international organization(s) and an understanding of security strategies for humanitarian operations, previous security experience preferred.
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills High level of experience, ready to learn developing security related technical tools guidelines and systems as well as able to work under minimal supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills Ability to speak several local languages (Hausa, Kanuri) as well North East work experience
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work under stressful conditions
- Ability to travel (50%demands) on regular basis throughout assigned States on short notice.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
Application Closing Date
15th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Apply via EmploymentNigeria
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed