2 Openings for Infrastructure Project Assistant at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Infrastructure Project Assistant
Job Ref Code:IFS251019
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Slot: 2 Openings
Reports To: Infrastructure Program Manager
- Working closely with STaR Infrastructure PM, the post holder will be responsible for engineering technical assessment, structural analysis, designs and engineering drawing of community infrastructures projects including preparing bills of quantities, supervising/implementing community infrastructure activities and ensuring quality construction implementation of infrastructure projects.
- The post holder will similarly be responsible for field monitoring the vendors / construction company activities adhering to established monitoring processes for works, ensuring safety of construction teams, adherence to KFW, Government of Nigeria and CRS construction policies and legislation.
- The post holder will ensure compliance with International Environmental, Social, Health and Safety (ESHS) standards on site.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Responsible to produce technical designs and drawings for selected infrastructure projects according to relevant engineering standards.
- Prepare bill of materials for cash for work projects and bills of quantities for contractor-led infrastructure projects.
- Preparing project specifications, QA/QC plans for infrastructure activities.
- Participate in technical assessments for infrastructure feasibility and design.
- Support the preparation and validation of community infrastructure rehabilitation plans.
- Community engagement at all stages of project implementation.
- Supervise community-led and private sector led construction to ensure adherence to approved technical designs, drawings and specifications.
- Routine monitoring construction projects and reports on construction progress based on established process, ensuring requisite safety precautions are taken during construction in accordance with KFW and CRS policies and guidelines
- Work closely with Procurement team to ensure timely delivery of materials to specification and with community leadership to ensure proper and secure storage of construction materials.
- Report any variations with implementation of project activities.
- Support the partner staff with community leaders to identify both skilled and unskilled CFW beneficiaries. Oversee the training of CFW beneficiaries.
- Support partner staff to prepare weekly projections including tools and material needs including cash projections for CFW payments to ensure enough materials and money is available.
- Support partner staff to ensure transparency of CFW activities at community level.
- Support partner staff to establish, train and mentor infrastructure operation and maintenance (O&M) committees.
- Support other STaR project components with project implementation and ensure coordination of activities to ensure integrated approach.
- Other duties as requested by STaR infrastructure PM
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Building, Civil Engineering or any relevant field.
- A minimum of 2 years of design experience and on-site construction supervision experience,
- A minimum of 1 year of community engagement and negotiation experience.
- Experience in implementing community infrastructure projects on behalf of humanitarian / development organizations.
- Experience in design and construction of community infrastructures like Boreholes, earth roads, culverts, building facilities etc.
- Experience in either NGO or government/public sector especially in the Northeast Nigeria.
- Registered as an Engineer with COREN
- Ability to write field reports.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills in English.
- A proven record in follow-up and managing contractors
- Ability to work in partnership with local communities and other NGOs
- Proven experience with AutoCAD, RCC spreadsheets and other common software in structural designs.
Application Closing Date
7th November, 2019; (COB, 5:00pm),
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the "CRS Application Form" using the link below, fill and send with a detailed Resume as one document (in a PDF Format) indicating "Position" being applied for and the "Job Ref Code" as the subject of the application application (e.g. MEAL Director, MED211118) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to Download Application Form (Drop-box)
Click Here for Job Details (Drop-box)
Equal Employer Opportunity:
- “CRS is an equal - opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’. etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking.
- Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed