The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Engagement Assistant - Governance
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
- The IRC is seeking two Urban Resilience Assistant to support it’s From Response to Resilience project in Maiduguri, Nigeria. Through the project, we will build the resilience of the people, neighborhoods, and governmental systems of urban Maiduguri to address the risks the city currently faces. We will implement this project while supporting the local integration of internally displaced persons wishing to reside within Maiduguri permanently.
- As Community Engagement Assistant, you will assist the Community Engagement Officers to collaborate with Maiduguri’s communities, ensuring that the project is effectively implemented on schedule and to maximum benefit for Maiduguri's residents, in tune with their needs and preferences.
- You will support the implementation of the three-year Area Based Approach project, including the establishment and oversight of community-based feedback and complaint mechanisms, mobilizing local communities, and organizing community engagement sessions.
- The Community Engagement Assistants will be based in Maiduguri. S/he reports to the Senior Urban Resilience Manager. The Community Engagement Assistant shall carry out any other tasks as required by supervisors.
Project Strategy and Quality:
- Work as part of a team to design, plan, execute, and monitor neighborhood-based activities, ensuring that communities are able to freely and safely voice their needs and preferences.
- Help to plan and carry out community mobilization, awareness creation, and information dissemination activities.
- Assist the Community Engagement Officers in planning, organizing and implementing capacity building trainings at the community level.
- Complete weekly reports on project activities, including good quality activity photos, documentation of feedback from community engagement sessions, and the proactive sharing of lessons learned.
- Assist in keeping records of all community-based activities
- Coordinate referral pathways between consortium partners and other IRC sectors, ensuring targeted assistance is provided to extremely vulnerable individuals.
- Provide direct administrative support to Urban Resilience team including copying, dissemination of documents, assisting the preparation of procurement-related documents, tracking purchase and payment requests, etc.
- Collect information, compile data, produce reports, and organize files as requested by Senior Urban Resilience Manager
- Support the development and maintenance of knowledge management systems for sharing information across the consortium, to other sectors within the IRC, and to external stakeholders
- Coordinate with IRC HR and Logistics teams as necessary to organize travel and administrative needs
- Carry out other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelors degreee in Social science, Economics, International Affairs/Relations or related field is required. Masters degree in Internationl Development, Urban Planning or public policy related field is a plus.
- At least 1 year of professional humanitarian/development experience; Experience with neighborhood-based projects highly desirable.
- Experience with community engagement and participatory processes, including: previous facilitation of group work with relevant populations, active participant of sectoral/social groups, and experience with capacity building or training exercises.
- Knowledge of urban resilience concepts a plus.
- Good communication skills (written and verbal), cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
- Able to solve complex problems through a reciprocal and consultative approach
- Ability to live and productively work under stress while maintain a sense of humor.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
- Knowledge of one or more local languages is obligatory.
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Standards of Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions.
- We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed