Job Offer: Consultant - Knowledge Harvesting at Save the Children Nigeria
Save the Children is the world leading independent organization for children. We strive to give children and environment in which their human rights and needs are respected and protected so that they can realize their full potential. We are committed to ensuring that children realize the right to survival, protection, development and participation which they are entitled to under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
We seek to employ qualified candidate for the position below:
Job Title: Knowledge Harvesting Consultant
Job ID: 19000427
Employee Status: Fixed Term
As part of the end of project knowledge harvesting for the Alive & Thrive project implemented by Save the Children, an intensive 3 -day write shop geared towards capturing in-depth analysis stories of change from inception of the programme; the output is expected be rich, with interesting and thoughtful stories and case studies, to learn from and to communicate to identified target audiences is planned for November 2019. In addition to the write shop the consultant will also be tasked with supporting the finalizations of project knowledge products as well as supporting the close out learning event early in 2020.
Alive & Thrive is a global initiative to save lives, prevent illness, and ensure healthy growth and development through improved breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices. Good nutrition in the first 1,000 days, from conception to two years of age, is critical to enable all children to lead healthier and more productive lives. Alive & Thrive is managed by FHI 360 and funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the governments of Canada and Ireland.
Save the Children is working with Alive and Thrive in 10 LGAs in Lagos and 16 LGAs in Kaduna, to implement activities that improve the availability and quality of IYCF counselling in health facilities and communities. Save the Children will be responsible for activities under Component 2 IPC and Community Mobilization and contribute to Component 4 Strategic Use of Data through ongoing monitoring of SC activities. SC’s actions will contribute to A&Ts overall goals, improving IYCF practices in target populations, improving HW skill and capacity and creating an enabling environment in the community to support optimal IYCF behaviours, which will contribute to the behaviour change targets of Alive and Thrive.
Scope of Work
- SCI will host a 3-day workshop in Abuja to capture the learning and best practices from the programme since inception in 2017.
- The Primary Investigator will lead the facilitation of the writeshop process, developing reflection tools in consultation with the Knowledge Management Specialist, coordinating a team of research assistants, developing a high-quality report outlining activities undertaken and achievements, developing the case studies and identification of viable knowledge products from the writeshop to be fleshed out after the writeshop.
- The Primary Investigator (PI) take note on the main findings, conclusions and recommendations of all sessions.
- The PI will also prepare a detailed final summary report to be presented to Save the Children.
- The PI will lead on the overall compilation of the workshop reports and the development of knowledge management products as well as the overall coordination of a team of 6 Research Assistants(RAs) for the writeshop.
- The PI will recruit and pay the 6 RAs directly.
- The research assistants however will be expected to be present throughout the workshop sessions, collect brief from the LF on note-taking for the main findings, conclusions and recommendations of the presentation and questions surfaced during the workshop sessions and the small theme-specific breakout sessions. The research assistants will support the LF to prepare a detailed final summary report to be presented to Alive & Thrive.
A 30 days contract which will include the following:
- Technical planning for the writeshop, facilitation and technical coordinal and report writing. The lead PI will require the support of research assistants or technical rapporteurs for effectiveness
- Finalization of KM product identified from the writeshop
- Production of emotive photobook and final project report
- Support the facilitation and technical design of the final learning event
- Pre-Workshop: to hold a pre-workshop sessions SCI for planning and debriefing on the expectation from the workshop; become familiar with outline of the programme, read programme documents and attend the planning meeting as required. Development of reflection tools and methods to facilitate the writeshop process
- Collate the summary reports for the groups, Session reports, Thematic Briefs, Case studies, State Collaborative Outcome reports, Compendium of Most significant change, main findings, conclusions and recommendations of the Session
- Collaborate with the KMS on finalizing identified knowledge products after the writeshop included but not limited to technical briefing papers on IPC and CM, Discussion papers on promoted nutrition behaviours etc Compendium of success stories/case studies, emotive photobook, scientific abstracts on agreed topics and technical papers for publications in peer review journals
- Support the design and facilitation of final learning event
Key Skills and Experience
- Proven ability to capture and produce detailed and clearly presented report
- Experience in planning and conducting writeshops/learning events
- Able to work effectively as part of a diverse global team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Great team player and ability to work under tight deadline
- High attention to detail and ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Excellent oral, written, presentation and communications skills in English
- Primary Investigator: Support KMS in facilitating the workshop, recruitment and payment of research assistants
- Research Assistants: Support the Principal Investigator for capturing of the Writeshop sessions for a period of five (5) days (2 days for training, 3 days for workshop)
- The PI and research assistants are expected bring their laptops as this will be required for quick turning around of your report for consolidation. Ensure that your laptop is fully charged and your charger is in good working conditions
- It is essential that you have a recording device to better capture the discussions of your assigned group. If possible endeavour to get one
- Ensure that your mobile phones are on silent all through the sessions
- Ask question on grey areas to ensure you have complete understanding
- Collect and safely keep all flipcharts, notepads, post-it-notes from your groups’ sessions after each session is closed. These will be handed over to the lead facilitator with the other submissions for your assigned group
Consultancy Period with Key Milestones
- November 2019: Planning and Conduct of After Action Review Writeshop
- December 2019: Development and Finalization of KM products
- January 2020: Planning for Learning Event and submission of Knowledge products
- February 2020: End of project learning event, Submission of workshop report and Knowledge products
Application Closing Date
19th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: Apply via EmploymentNigeria
- Proposals must be submitted in electronic format. Please note that due to the urgency of the request applications will be assessed on receipt and appointment made once a suitable candidate is identified.
- Submissions should include a proposal, capacity statement (maximum 3 pages), in addition to a detailed CV and expected fee/budget.
In order to be considered, Proposals must include the following:
- Capability Statement - demonstrating relevant experience including past experience in leading on similar design/ document development and explaining how the candidate fulfils each criteria.
- Samples of consultancy outputs from previous work
- References – names, company or organization, contact information – of three recent (within the past 2 years) companies that you have consulted for in this capacity
- This position is open only to Nigerian National Consultants
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse
- All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy
- Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed