Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health Specialist (Pipeline) at Save the Children Nigeria
Save the Children is the world leading independent organization for children. We strive to give children and environment in which their human rights and needs are respected and protected so that they can realize their full potential. We are committed to ensuring that children realize the right to survival, protection, development and participation which they are entitled to under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
We seek to employ qualified candidate for the position below:
Job Title: Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health Specialist (Pipeline)
Job ID: 1900041P
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Team: Programme Operations
Post Type: National
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- Support the development, implementation and monitoring of all ASRH strategies and activities under the World Bank funded ‘Accelerating nutrition results in Nigeria’ (ANRiN) project in the State, ensuring national protocols and strategies are followed.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Project Director and will have dotted line reporting to the Head of Health.
- Staff directly reporting to this post: TBC
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Supported by the CO Health team, provide technical guidance for the implementation of Adolescent Health interventions on the ANRiN project, ensuring interventions meet internationally recognised and Save the Children’s quality standards as well as National guidelines and protocols.
- Develop the Detailed Implementation Plan with the State project team integrating with nutrition interventions. budgets and other related activities of ANRiN within the programme in liaison with the Head of Health
- Build the capacity of community health extension workers/CORPS /CHIPS to provide ARSH services
- Ensure quality services, adolescent friendly implementation of the ANPiN project.
- Ensure the quarterly and annual targets are met while implementing ASRH activities in close collaboration with the Gender Equality Advisor.
- Conduct quality trainings on ASRH to target health providers and partners towards improving the quality of health facility services to adolescents (Use of the Age & Life-stage Counselling Tools, Youth-Friendly Health Services, Interpersonal Communication Skills, Organizing Young Mothers’ Support groups, others). It is envisioned that this will include developing and/ or adapting training materials and tools as necessary.
- Work with the state ASRH officers, Implement the Mothers support group series of activities of the Adolescent First-time mothers’/parents intervention.
- Work with SCI communications unit to develop and adapt relevant ASRH IEC materials for the target facilities as well as ensure re-printing of important ASRH publications for dissemination to stakeholders/ partners (e.g. the Age & Life-stage Counselling Tools, the Nigeria National Adolescent & Youth friendly Job Aids and Cue cards, First-time Mothers/Parents curriculum for Mothers support group, others)
- Work closely with all ANRiN stakeholders to ensure that gender transformative approaches are implemented and that gender equality is mainstreamed throughout all activities and interventions
- Emphasize the importance of normative change at implementation level in order to achieve project outcomes
- In collaboration with the Head of Health, ensure that quarterly reports and other documentation of ASRH interventions and activities are written in a timely manner and submitted to the Head of Health for vetting.
- Work with the business development team (and member RH technical advisors, where applicable) to make technical contributions to proposals which have an ARSH component and ensure high quality narratives for submission.
- Participate in State level technical meetings related to Adolescent Health programmes, as necessary.
- Collaborate with the CO technical team to ensure cross learning among projects.
- Monitor that accountability adolescents are planned for and correctly implemented.
- Observe principles of child rights programming inform in all activities related to Adolescent Health programming including design, analysis, implementation and M& E with a particular focus on gender and diversity, children’s participation.
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Policies (including Chid Safeguarding and Fraud) to ensure maximum protection for children.
Skills & Experience
Education and Experience/qualifications:
- Master's Degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline (e.g Medicine, Public Health, Nursing)
- 5 years of post-Masters’ working experience in ASRH (specifically normative change and understanding adolescent behaviours) and family planning in developing countries
- Familiarity with analytical tools and ability to translate theoretical concepts into practical approaches for operational work.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) in English. Knowledge of the Hausa language will be an asset.
- Demonstrated experience of working with national and/or State level government structures to strengthen the capacities.
- Self-motivated and results orientated.
- Highly numerically articulate with a track record of data manipulation and use of spreadsheets and reporting systems.
- Proven ability to motivate and develop others
- Highly diplomatic and emotionally intelligent.
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles
- Experience managing projects with a focus on behaviour change, Family Planning procurement and supplies would be an asset.
- Experience on World Bank funded projects.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating quality and sustainable technical syatems
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin and value for money systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
18th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: Apply via EmploymentNigeria
- Proposals must be submitted in electronic format. Please note that due to the urgency of the request applications will be assessed on receipt and appointment made once a suitable candidate is identified.
- Submissions should include a proposal, capacity statement (maximum 3 pages), in addition to a detailed CV and expected fee/budget.
In order to be considered, Proposals must include the following:
- Capability Statement - demonstrating relevant experience including past experience in leading on similar design/ document development and explaining how the candidate fulfils each criteria.
- Samples of consultancy outputs from previous work
- References – names, company or organization, contact information – of three recent (within the past 2 years) companies that you have consulted for in this capacity
- This position is open only to Nigerian National Consultants
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse
- All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy
- Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed