2 Openings for Construction Engineers at the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
BAUCHI , KEBBI ,
United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfil their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Construction Engineer for EU-MNCH Project
Job Number: 527838
Locations: Kebbi and Bauchi
Work Type : Consultancy
- UNICEF has been working with other partners to support the State Primary Health Care Development Agencies (SPHCDAs) and the State Ministries of Health (SMOH) in the actualization of the vision of the Federal Government towards revitalizing primary healthcare and improving the quality of integrated MNCH services through support to the implementation of the ward minimum health care package in at least 1 Primary Health Care (PHC) center per ward in most of the wards in Kebbi, Bauchi and Adamawa.
- The National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) has defined a set of minimum standards that must be met in order to ensure effective and efficient service delivery at the health care facility level. Adherence to a set of minimum standards for Primary Health Care (PHC) system is fundamental to the effective functioning of any health facility and is an essential element for the delivery of quality health care.
- In line with the above, UNICEF has finalized the assessment of over 400 Health facility and will continue work with the 3 state governments to complete the assessment of another 42 Health facility. The first phase of implementation has started, and UNICEF will assist the 3 state governments in providing technical oversight in the renovation work to be carried out and implement a quality assurance mechanism, supervise the renovation works while ensuring timely delivery of facility upgrade.
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
- Support the Construction Engineer to review the contracts of the contracting and consulting companies and get familiar with the terms for relevant locations to control the contracts for the project duration.
- Undertake frequent and periodical site visits to monitor progress of work and to provide technical input.
- Keep record of each site activities, dates, hold points, and milestones.
- Compile progress reports including the cost controlling, scheduling, risks and management aspects.
- Support in preparation of project estimates and forecasting for completion in cost, duration and variations.
- Work with Contractors to ensure project compliance to scope and budget and report any deviations.
- Attend any required meetings with the project stakeholders in the state.
- Provide periodic updates on progress of renovation exercise
- Get involved in any evaluation mission requested by the organization in the relevant field.
Qualification/Specialized Knowledge and Experience
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- In-depth knowledge of buildings, engineering, renovation and construction projects, excellent knowledge of project cost control activities, structural design and computer-aided design and drafting programs, proven ability to supervise contractors, consultants and control contracts, excellent reporting skills, demonstrates professional competency and mastery of subject matter.
- Flexibility & Teamwork: Shows flexibility in moving between project locations, altering schedule to the benefit of the work progress, works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the project goals, is willing to learn from others, places team agenda before personal agenda, supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings, demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organizatio
- A first-level university Degree in Engineering or related fields from a reputable university.
- ARCON or COREN registration certification/membership.
- One to three years of progressively responsible experience in managing construction and renovation projects.
- Experience in procurement and supply processes is an asset.
- Good use of AutoCAD or equivalent system.
- Fluency in English Language. Knowledge of language of duty station would be an added advantage.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
- UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are:
Application Closing Date
20th November, 2019 by 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (West Africa Standard Time).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Apply via EmploymentNigeria
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed