Consultant - ICT4D Conference Media & Institutional Outreach at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant - ICT4D Conference Media & Institutional Outreach
Consultancy Code: IMT181119
- The annual ICT4D Conferences, founded in 2010 by Catholic Relief Services (CRS) and now managed by a consortium of non-governmental and private sector organizations, have proven to be an invaluable opportunity for NGOs, private sector organizations, universities, governmental agencies and foundations to share their experience in using ICT to increase the impact of development programs and to learn from each other. These conferences are unique in two regards.
- They attract a diverse audience of senior executives and technical advisors who bring different insights to the challenge of using ICT to improve the impact of humanitarian relief and development work.
- They are also highly participatory in that a significant portion of attendees speak at the conference and share their practical experience in applying technology innovations to development challenges and explore partnerships and business models that make such efforts sustainable.
- The 12th ICT4D Conference will take place at the Sheraton Hotel in Abuja from April 21-23, 2020.
- Led by Catholic Relief Services, the Conference is organized in collaboration with a Partner Consortium and attracts a wide range of VIPs and high-profile speakers.
- To support the ICT4D Conference www.ict4dconference.org to generate media coverage in Nigerian (and West African) print, electronic and visual media outlets, and raise the conference’s profile among Nigeria-based relevant organizations and stakeholders, and increase participation.
- The consultant will engage with the Nigerian media, direct marketing and outreach to key organizations, especially but not limited to press, journalists, networks, associations, and bloggers in Nigeria and wider international media houses through national and regional representatives.
- The Conference Manager and organizing team will supply all content including press material.
- Identify media opportunities to raise awareness of the conference and its contributions to humanitarian relief and international development work.
- Handling press relations prior to, during and after the conference.
- Research and develop a target media list for Conference communications. Must include regional, tech trades and development press, and tech blogs.
- Media engagement
- Sharing of press releases and key conference updates (articles, interviews, etc.)
- Proactively pitching media features for the ICT4D Conference, partner spokesperson interviews, and case study placement in relevant media.
- Managing pre-event media briefings as assigned between January to April, 2020
- Timely reporting on feedback, progress and outcomes
- Tracking of all media coverage
- Creating press package and sharing with interested press contacts prior to the conference
- Outreach to key organizations and stakeholders via direct marketing (flyers, emails). Developing and maintaining a contact list through CRS sources and research
- Conference support
- Manage press registration prior and during the conference, incl handling of expense reimbursements for press attendees
- Arranging a Press Conference on April 21st, first day of the Conference
- Coordination of media interviews with partner spokespersons on-ground
The marketing and communications strategy will take into account the key marketing and fundraising milestones leading up to the conference date:
- December 2019: General outreach, conference brochure.
- January 2020: Press Release: Agenda update, first speakers confirmed.
- March 2020: Press Release: Keynote speakers.
- April 2020: Final Press Release & Press Event during the Conference.
- April 21 – 23, 2020 - 12th ICT4D Conference, Sheraton Hotel, Abuja, Nigeria
- The ICT4D Conference needs to attract the attention of key stakeholders to drive registration for and participation in the conference. These stakeholders include executives, senior managers and technical advisors from the private sector, public sector and civil society organizations across a range of disciplines: emerging technologies and innovations, agriculture, health and nutrition, education, livelihoods, financial inclusion, humanitarian response, collaboration and openness in information and communications technology.
- As the 2020 conference will be held in Nigeria, the primary focus will be on Nigerian media outlets and key organizations. However, the Conference attracts a global audience every year and it will be important to engage relevant regional and international and trade media sources to raise global awareness.
- The 12th ICT4D Conference needs to create a buzz about the opportunity to share best practices and collaborate with relevant stakeholder groups, and drive registration, sponsorships, and exhibitions.
- A two-pronged communications approach to showcase the story behind ICT as a driver towards achieving the SDGs in Nigeria and globally will be important to build, amplify and sustain interest in the pre-event phases to April 21st, 2020.
- This will use ICT4D partners as spokespersons and partner organizations’ impact stories as case studies for media placement in the lead-up to the event, targeting Nigerian mainstream and trade media.
- Furthermore, partnerships and engagement with relevant media to cover Conference proceedings and outcomes need to be established and maintained.
Period of Performance:
- The period of performance for this work is November 25, 2019 to April 24, 2020
- Work Location: Abuja
- Attendance of Conference required in Abuja, Nigeria: April 21-23, 2020.
- The ideal candidate must have great communication skills and pro-active attitude.
- Background with media engagement or PR is required, experience working in the development sector is also a plus.
In a nutshell, we are looking for:
- Someone with extensive media contacts / network and experience
- A confident media and outreach manager with integrity and focus
- Ability to responsibly engage with external audiences including the press and multiple stakeholders
- Ability to work independently, proven track records to work solely on projects, and a proactive can-do attitude
- An effective team player
- Experience working in communications and media engagement
- Ability to attend the Conference in Nigeria from April 21 to 23, 2020
Application Closing Date
22nd November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expression of Interest (EOI) along with a detailed Resume attached as one document in PDFformat to: firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the "Title of the Consultancy and the Consultancy Code" as subject of the mail (e.g. Consultant - ICT4D Conference Media & Institutional Outreach, IMT181119).
Equal Employer Opportunity:
- “CRS is an equal - opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’. etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
- By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
- ‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’
Note: Applications will be processed on a rolling basis. Only applicants who send in the required format will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed