Volunteer CFYE Youth Expert at Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO)
VSO is the world’s leading international development charity that works through volunteers to create a fair world for everyone. At VSO we pride ourselves on doing development differently. We fight poverty not by sending aid, but by working through volunteers and partners to create long-lasting change in some of the world’s poorest regions. We bring key stakeholders together to co-ordinate collective action, from local organisations to national governments. Our programmes in Africa and Asia focus on health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience, peace building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change that will improve the lives of generations to come.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: CFYE Youth Expert
Location: Abuja, Nigeria (but also option for part time working from home)
Start Date: 11th April, 2022
Duration: 12 months
Mode of Delivery: Working from home and at project location
- Working from home and at project location - In this role, you will spend some time providing part-time remote support (e.g. from your home) to VSO projects or partners, and also a set period working full-time in the project location and/or VSO office.
- The assignment is part of the wider youth champions initiative, a collaboration between CFYE and a global network of youth leaders. CFYE are working with youth leaders from CFYE target countries to lead the way as an innovator in the direct inclusion of youth voice in a Challenge Fund’s program design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
- The main responsibility of the Youth Expert will be designing and coordinating the Youth Action Research on digitally enabled jobs, in partnership with youth champs and research organisation, as part of the wider CFYE Learning & Innovation agenda. This is the second in a series of youth led activities conducted with Nigerian Youth Champs. With over 65% of the CFYE funded youth employment initiatives falling into ‘digitally enabled jobs,’ CFYE have partnered with JobTech Alliance to deepen our understanding of decency, opportunities and barriers for youth within digitally enabled jobs.
- Nigeria and Kenya are the focus countries for the research as part of a wider ‘Learning Lab’ suite of activities.
Key Performance Indicator
- Youth Centered Design Sprint workshop series has been implemented and fed into the brief report (led by IV) with key outcomes and final version of peer network tool/guidance (also led by IV).
- 4 Month Workplan and activities budget developed and shared for youth action research activity
- Youth Action Research workshop series has been designed and delivered in partnership with youth action research organization and a brief report with key outcomes of the YAR process has been shared.
- Youth Action Research has been conducted by Youth Champions and a final research report produced.
- Dissemination of research activities has been co-designed and delivered with youth champs e.g. youth-led webinars, events.
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience
- Graduate in Social or Human Sciences, Development Studies or related field.
Competencies and Behaviour:
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
- Ability to be open-minded and respectful
- Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Ability to seek and share knowledge.
- As a VSO volunteer, you will be sharing your skills with local communities on a full-time basis. VSO will cover your travel, vaccinations, accommodation, and medical insurance costs, along with a local living allowance which will be paid in local currency. This allowance meets reasonable living expenses in the country, but will not be enough to send money home.
- You will also receive some financial support to contribute to your ongoing expenses at home.
- VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which mean accommodation varies and will be basic.
24th March 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
- VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed