Head of Mission, Ukraine Refugee Crisis Response at Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for - and respond to - crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Mission, Ukraine Refugee Crisis Response
Location: Nigeria (Flexible)
Type of Role: 12 month fixed term contract
Functional Area: Delivery, Performance and Accountability
Reports to: Director, Ukraine Response Hub
Travel required: Up to 50% in country and within the region
Effective Date: June 2022
- The Head of Mission (HoM) will act as Plan International representative for the defined Program Area. They are responsible for leading the strategic direction in the Program Area in accordance with Plan’s strategic program framework.
- The HoM has final accountability for timely and quality delivery of all Plan’s operations in the area and in line with the approved country specific Emergency Response Plan and the wider Ukraine Refugee Response Strategy.
- The role serves as Plan International’s main liaison with the State/Government bodies, Partner Organisations, UN & Peer Agencies and Donors to establish a good working relationship, influence decision makers on issues affecting children’s and girls and ensure Plan’s visibility.
Dimensions of the Role
- The HoM will act as the senior representative for Plan International in the defined Country (Moldova, Poland, Romania, or Ukraine), responsible for the management of budgets in the range of 10-15 Million Euros.
- Positions Plan International as the Go To agency for gender in emergencies.
- Supervision of all functions within the response, both programmatic and operational support. If required, the HoM will also be responsible for any sub-offices opened.
- They postholder is a member of the Ukraine Crisis Emergency Response Management Team.
- Provides strategic leadership and guidance
- Overarching responsibility for partnerships and accountability in country.
- Ensures alignment with humanitarian standards (eg Sphere, CHS) and International Humanitarian Law.
- Oversee the design and implementation of interventions. Ensures they are taking place in a holistic and sustainable way and aligned with approved global policies /frameworks.
- Provide strategic leadership and guidance to staff within response location ensuring that the global program quality framework and other relevant policies (e.g., Safeguarding, security and gender equality policies) are embedded within the day-to-day operations.
- Lead and support the planning process for the response location ensuring this is updated as and when needed.
- Coordinate with the Ukraine Response Director to develop and implement the relevant policies and strategies ensuring that Plan International is nationally and internationally recognized as a key humanitarian actor in the response.
- Ensure that Plan International is well positioned at the Government (national and local) level through regular external representation and networking, ensuring the specific rights of children are respected.
- Champion key advocacy initiatives at both national and regional levels. Participate in external for a representing these positions.
- Oversees Plan’s work with partners and ensures selection and capacity building plans are implemented as per Plan International Partnership framework.
- Manage overall response strategies and ensure that humanitarian aid is provided on a timely manner and in full consideration of humanitarian standards such as SPHERE, CHS and others.
- Proactive engagement in interagency coordination fora.
- Drives fundraising activities, ensuring profile with donors.
- Ensures that all major institutional donors compliance requirements are fully adhered to.
- Oversees regular financial management review meetings ensuring compliance with workplans and donor expectations.
- Oversees establishment and implementation of complaints and feedback mechanisms in programmes and in our own offices.
- Actively promotes Plan International policies and procedures on safeguarding and PSHEA
- Create a conducive working environment in which people are motivated, respected, valued and managed well to realize their potential and development.
- Promotes training and development opportunities for staff and partners that will result in professional growth and equip them with knowledge and skills to enable their professional development and enhance programme quality.
- Implement all People & Culture initiatives related to staff capacity building, rewards, succession, work force, promotion, and retention and manage staff performance in line with approved Plan Employee Appraisal standards and guidelines.
- Take active role in staff recruitment for the response according to needs and resources.
- Responsible for oversight and running of the Plan international office.
- Responsible for the safety and security of staff and Plan properties. Conducts regular risk analysis and develops appropriate contingency plans as required.
- Responsible for compliance with national legislation.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility.
- This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Global Hub Departments (Humanitarian, Legal, Risk, Partnerships, Finance, Procurement, Safeguarding).
- Plan International National Organisations and Liaison Offices.
- Heads of Mission other Ukraine response locations.
- Represents Plan in all relevant sectoral fora
- National Government institutions
- UN & Peer Agencies
- Local partners
- Media as requested by the Director.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Demonstrated commitment to integrating gender equality into all aspects of operations – both programmatic and operational support functions.
- Significant experience in a wide range of senior management roles in different humanitarian contexts.
- Proven experience in the management of key programmatic areas such as Mental Health and Psychosocial Support, Education in Emergencies, Child Protection in Emergencies, Cash and Voucher Assistance.
- Demonstrated experience in securing a broad range of donor funding for humanitarian programmes and ensuring compliance with donor requirements.
- Effective communication skills (written and oral).
- Experience of working in partnership with a diverse range of civil society organisations.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills.
- Proven team and interpersonal skills.
- Strong negotiating, facilitation and influencing skills in multi-cultural contexts.
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically.
- Language skills in either Ukrainian, Polish, Moldovan or Romanian.
- Previous experience working in the European context.
- Works regularly in a typical office environment. Will travel on a regular basis to rural locations to visit partner organisations.
- Climatic conditions are seasonal, cold winters and hot summers.
Level of Contact with Children:
- Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable:
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people.
We strive for lasting Impact:
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together:
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
We are inclusive and empowering:
- Empowers staff to give their best and develop their potential.
- Respects all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace.
- Supports children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
- We will be happy to disclose the salary and applicable benefits to applicants as part of this process, however, please kindly note that the salary and employment benefits will be set according to your location and therefore it is not possible to include full details here.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (MS Word)
Login And Apply