Travel Services Assistant at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Travel Services Assistant
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50000345
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department
- The primary roles of the General Services and Procurement Department (CHGS) are to manage the Bank’s assets, oversee all corporate procurement of goods, services, works and real estate, coordinate all staff travel and transport of Bank’s goods and staff, catering services and other logistics arrangements and the mail services and keep staff informed about services offered.
- To this end the department formulates and applies rules for procurement, storage, and maintenance of furniture, office equipment and supply; design, prepare and implement programs for the construction or acquisition and maintenance of buildings and premises; formulate and ensure the proper and effective application of administration policies within the Bank in such areas as communications, transport, travels, security, protection and safety of the Bank’s staff and property; and perform related duties.
- The department is responsible for managing the Bank’s fixed assets. The department has 3 divisions supervised by the Director General Services and Procurement. These divisions are: Operations and Maintenance Division (CHGS.1); Corporate Procurement Division (CHGS.2); and Support Services Division (CHGS.3).
- Reporting to the Principal Travel Office, within CHGS 3, the Travel Services Assistant provides air travel services to the Bank; receives and handles requests and authorizations for official Bank travel and prepares air travel arrangements accordingly; makes reservations and issues airline tickets as per Bank Travel Policy with a goal of obtaining the best value for the Bank; liaises with internal customers for itinerary needs and problem resolution.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Principal Travel Officer, the incumbent’s role includes but not limited to:
- Receive, sort, and check all Bank authorised travels.
- Communicate with Bank authorised travellers to confirm itinerary details, e.g., routing destinations, travel dates, financial considerations, and other air travel related issues.
- Request booking arrangements from various travel agents or airlines with respective offers from each.
- Liaise with external parties such as airlines regarding bookings and schedules.
- Plan, describe, arrange, explain and confirm itineraries to all Bank authorised travellers.
- Provide authorised travellers with a soft copy or a printed copy of the final air travel ticket.
- Notify and keep authorised travellers informed about all changes related to their itinerary and their air travel arrangements.
- Receive invoices and compare them to the quoted prices.
- Take necessary steps to correct mistakes if any exist. Forward invoices to the Travel Officer for necessary review and action.
- Work with authorised travellers, complexes, departments, and units to resolve issues that may arise particularly related to itinerary changes and flight cancellations.
- Perform other related duties when necessary.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration and Tourism.
- Professional training in travel management (IATA, etc.) will be an added advantage.
- At least 4 years of relevant and progressive experience in travel and tourism industry.
- Strong negotiating skills; knowledge of logistics and supply chain techniques and practices; knowledge of purchasing systems, advanced calculation and planning knowledge, inventory or asset and facilities management.
- Dynamic, efficient communicator, effective team-work player, result-driven, customer service oriented, analytical skills, and ability to work cross-functionally and under pressure.
- Competence in the use of standard software used in the Bank (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP and Amadeus is desirable.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French and/or English, with a good command of the other language.