The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster.
At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Community Engagement and Information Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Scope Of Work
- The Information Assistant will work closely with the Protection Officer to ensure the smooth implementation of protection programming in the Maiduguri field office areas of operation.
- He/she will participate in the implementation of protection monitoring methodology and M&E systems.
- Assist the Training and Capacity Building Officer in the planning, coordination and execution of the project activities such as training, formulation of IEC materials, dissemination information planning.
- Take lead in mobilizing community for protection and other IRC related activities.
- Engage community members in design, planning and executing, and monitoring of community based protection activities.
- Work closely with other IRC staff to create and conduct dissemination information activities.
- Participate in the design, planning, and execution of protection activities.
- Take part in identification of new target locations.
- Participate in data collection for assessment such as community needs assessment and identify beneficiaries in need of assistance.
- Be the link between IRC Protection staff and the community.
- Establish and manage community feedback mechanism in target locations.
- Hold community meeting with key stakeholders to identify community needs and concerns
- Take lead in community engagement related budgeting
- Support Protection Officer in identifying and selecting most vulnerable individuals.
- Support referral by notifying Protection Officer of key Protection issues and concerns identified in target areas
- Develop and establish good working relationship with relevant stakeholders
- Collect information on target beneficiaries disaggregated by age and sex.
- Keep record of all community engagement activities implemented.
- Keep record of relevant stakeholders in target communities.
- Ensure timely preparation of activities
- Take part in weekly protection report compilation.
- Take part in development of monthly work plan
- Attend regular internal program meeting.
- Carry out other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- University degree in Social Work, Psychology or a related field.
- 1 years’ experience implementing protection programming including experience in emergency or post-conflict project management
- Demonstrated experience using international human rights standards in protection programming
- Excellent communication skills, cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
- Experience in using community based and participatory approach.
- Experience in community mobilization and awareness creation.
- Experience in working in remote and hard to reach areas with limited amenities
- Ability to live and productively work under stress and in insecure and harsh environments while maintaining a sense of humor.
- Knowledge of the local language will be an added value
- Security level orange. The situation in Maiduguri, Borno remains unpredictable; there is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- 13th Month Salary Inclusive,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Job Title: Environmental Health Manager
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Scope of Work
- The Environmental Health Manager is responsible for overseeing the implementation of all EH activities in Yobe.
- She/ He will provide technical and managerial leadership to the water, sanitation and hygiene promotion team in these locations and ensure all activities are of high quality and respond to immediate needs.
- The position will be based in Damaturu with frequent travels to the field offices and site in Yobe operation areas.
- In coordination with the Sr. EH Manager (Adamawa) establish contacts with relevant international/local NGOs and line ministries in the area of operation;
- Ensure that all IRC EH projects in your target LGAs are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to objectives, goals and indicators established by SPHERE, IRC, Nigerian Law and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs;
- Conduct routine assessments as needed to determine the water, sanitation and hygiene needs within your target LGAs; this will also include evaluation of ongoing technical interventions and make recommendations as needed.
- Follow all technical direction as outlaid in the Yobe State EH Strategy for the installation of all water and sanitation infrastructure in IRC supported medical facilities, included the requirements for the mobile health units, IDP sites and host communities including but not limited to drilling, restoration of existing infrastructure, drainage, solid waste management, latrine, shower and pot wash/laundry construction, hygiene campaigns, vector control and hygiene promotion activities;
- In coordination with the Sr. EH Manager (Adamawa), assist with technical support and capacity building for WASH staff under your direct management.
- Ensure all implementation plans employ a programming approach that integrates the needs of other sectors of work especially Health, WPE, Protection and ERD;
- Monitor budgets, materials, equipment and supplies for technical work for your program locations and allocated budgets;
- When requested by the Sr. EH Manager (Adamawa), provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records of progress and contract payment schedules for activities in the LGAs.
Human Resources Management:
- Directly manage and technically supervise the EH officers
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on an informal, quarterly basis with all the EH staff
- Overall responsibility for EH work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities in your targeted LGAs
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures.
Grant Monitoring & Partner Management:
- Manage and advise contractors implementing programs on behalf of and in partnership with the IRC in all your supported sites.
- Select and implement, in line with the Yobe EH Strategy, an appropriate monitoring and evaluations systems; analyzing results to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality. Ensure that all monitoring activities and results are shared with your line manager and if requested by your line manager to the M&E Coordinator.
- With support from the Yobe Sr. EH Manager, assure appropriate and timely spending of grants to achieve program goals, grant reporting contributions, use and distribution of supplies and resources.
- Actively contribute to proposal writing and strategy development
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the Adamawa Sr. EH Manager to enable and develop IRC programs
- University degree/HND in Civil/Environmental Engineering or related field;
- Minimum 3 years professional technical experience in WASH/Environmental Health, Physical Science, structures and/or water delivery/production;
- Minimum 2 years overseas experience, preferably in a conflict or post disaster setting;
- Solid managerial skills and experience in an international multi-cultural setting;
- Strong project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Proven technical writing skills;
- Competent in Windows, MS office programs, AutoCAD (or similar computer aided design), email and database experience;
- Interpersonal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure in a professional manner
- Fluent in spoken and written English, Hausa or any local language skills are a plus
- All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct.
- These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Job Title: Child Protection Officer
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Scope of Work
- This position is responsible for ensuring proper and quality implementation of the Case management and other components of the Child protection
- S/he will need to coordinate with staff, and other relevant technical sectors to ensure a rapid, proportionate and effective response.
- S/he will need to ensure response to immediate child protection issues with simultaneous consideration of longer term needs and possible scenarios.
- Depending on the situation the specialist may need to take a very active role in technical coordination, support and advocacy with the country specific child protection sector and other stakeholders and technical agencies relevant to the sector.
- Responsible for technical supervision and training of all learning facilitators working with the UASC on child protection issues.
- Work closely with learning facilitators and Make referrals of the registered children in need of care and protection
- Ensure that children are followed up and receiving proper case management.
- Ensure that cases are prepared for case discussions/ case management meetings
- In collaboration with the CP manager conduct trainings for the ministry staff and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that all activities under his/her supervision are conducted so as to comply with the obligations of the IRC beneficiaries, staff and other stakeholders under his/her jurisdiction, in accordance system of quality supervision, including the CPiE minimum standard and SPHERE standards
Program Implementation and Development:
- Ensure vulnerability of the identified and registered children are responded to involvement of the community where appropriate ensuring the best interest of the child.
- Establish/maintain a regular system of project evaluation and progress monitoring, using both qualitative and quantitative indicators, data collection, feeding into program adjustments and regular reporting as well as advocacy and new programme development
- Undertake any other roles as may be assigned by the Representation:
- Coordinate with the CP sub sector (Coordination at the field level) in order to assure that adequate and children centered solutions are taken in consideration in the strategic planning of activities
- Ensure the cases that are identified and registered are captured correctly and shared with the M&E officer.
- Technical Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Human Rights, or related Degree preferred
- Minimum of 1 year experience of implementing child protection programs, preferable social work or case management, in humanitarian or development settings
- Demonstrated understanding of working with children and particularly vulnerable children
- Personal qualities: Team player, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well and work in cross-cultural setting.
- Fluency in English and/or (other languages) preferred or required
- Security level orange. The situation in Mubi, Adamawa remains unpredictable; there is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- 13th Month Salary Inclusive,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months. Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV's and Cover Letter to: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org address it to "Human Resources Coordinator, International Rescue Committee".
- Subject of the application should read: Community Engagement And Information Assistant, Maiduguri
- Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated for Interview.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed