Field Manager (Lagos) at Sahel Consulting Agriculture and Nutrition Limited
Sahel Consulting Agriculture & Nutrition Limited (SCANL) is a leading management consulting firm focused on the agricultural and nutrition sectors in Africa. We partner with government agencies, private sector companies and leading international development organizations to conduct research, analyze policies, develop strategies and implement programs that promote sustainable food security and improved nutrition. We have worked on a variety of projects across West Africa, including in Benin, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Manager
Overview of the Role
- The Field Manager will ensure high quality implementation of Sahel projects in Northern Nigeria
- He/she will lead the planning, coordination of, management and reporting of project activities at the state and local level, engaging with key stakeholders on the one hand and reporting to Sahel’s Program Management Office (PMO) on the other hand with the objective of achieving projects’ goals.
- Monitor the farmer identification process to ensure compliance with program requirements
- Manage field coordinators to ensure timely collection and upload of verified data on farmers’ organization in accordance with the requirements of ALDDN
- Receive and act on weekly reports on milk collection activities of dairy processor partners.
- Provide recommendations to the National Team Leader on the potential borehole locations based on verified reports from the State Field Coordinators and M&E officers
- Obtain and act on weekly borehole checklist information that tracks compliance with borehole management plan and hygiene as shared by the state field coordinators
- Review key documents such as borehole management plans, evidence of communal land ownership and other relevant documents submitted by state field coordinators to the Project Management Office (PMO)
- Review milk can distribution register to track milk can distribution across the project sites
- Verify reports from field coordinators independently.
- Artificial Insemination and Animal Health:
- Receive, verify and act on the field coordinators’ reports on the activities of artificial insemination technicians/veterinarians to ensure project timelines are met
- Double check and confirm supporting documents and data from implementing partners
- Work with M&E officers to verify uploaded data and submit payment advice for vendors to the National Team Leader based on findings from field visits and State Field Coordinators’ reports.
Training and Extension Services:
- Receive and monitor compliance of extension agents to weekly training plans across project sites
- Monitor training of trainers’ session for extension agents and obtain supporting documents from State Field Coordinators
- Work with Livestock Associate to review training content and plan training calendar
- Work with the ALDDN M&E officers in preparing enumerators’ monthly payment based on satisfactory and verified milestone completion across all project sites
- Conduct routine field visits to monitor and validate training dissemination.
Feed and Fodder:
- Track the progress of implementation of activities by Agridrive against targets
- Coordinate with Agridrive’s program lead at the PMO to ensure timely resolution of issues.
Financial Inclusion & Income Diversification Support:
- Obtain progress update and supporting evidence for implementation of financial inclusion and income diversification support from TechnoServe
- Coordinate with TechnoServe’s program lead at the PMO to ensure timely resolution of issues
- Verify uploaded data through scheduled field visits to benefiting communities.
- Supervise the establishment and operations of State Steering Committees (SSC)
- Review reports on mapping of stakeholders and dairy related policies across project sites.
Human Resources and Administration:
- Work with the Sahel Human Resource Associate to provide performance evaluation of field staff
- Review and transmit fund requests from the State Field Coordinators to the National Team Leader for approval
- Monitor the process of recruitment and deployment of extension agents, animal health/artificial insemination service providers and community health workers
- Ensure all State Field Coordinators send necessary documents to the administrative assistant for all project asset insurance
- Follow through on the resolution of all issues raised in the State Field Coordinators’ weekly reports and Sahel’s weekly review meeting.
- Support quarterly program implementation plan including activities, targets and deadlines
- Provide quarterly reports on program accomplishments against targets, challenges and mitigation strategy
- Review uploaded key project data across all interventions in Kano, Kaduna, Plateau, Jigawa and Adamawa States to the ALDDN online data portal to ensure interventions are delivered based on timelines
- Receive weekly reports on accomplishments, challenges and mitigation strategy from field coordinators
- Review and validate monthly travel log, fuel and project vehicle maintenance information and supporting evidence shared by State Field Coordinators with the PMO to ensure costs are maintained within budget
- Participate in weekly project review meetings with the ALDDN team while assuring action-oriented dialogue and productive use of time
- Participate in ALDDN State Steering Committee meetings on a case of need basis and provide relevant reports to the PMO
- Other duties as assigned and agreed upon by the National Team Leader (NTL).
Required Skills & Experience
- University Degree in Agriculture or related field with 7 years’ relevant experience at field level of community development with a strong understanding of social development
- Strong networks with key stakeholders in the agriculture landscape in both the public, private and development sector. Experience in collaborating and managing relationships with federal and state governments, donors, private sector and other key stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, training and facilitation skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Excellent personal organizational skills and ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- High level of interpersonal skills with the ability to work across cultures and religions, with strong communication and listening abilities, good problem-solving approach and conflict resolution at individual and community level
- Strong program management skills and high level of analytical skills in planning and project implementation
- Ability to be flexible, respond professionally, and establish priorities in often fluid, changing, and challenging situations with little clear guidance is necessary.
- Ability to work calmly, tactfully, and effectively under pressure and to demonstrate extreme flexibility in managing more than one activity.
- Sound knowledge of local environment
- Willingness and enthusiasm for working with rural and vulnerable communities living in remote areas of the country.
- Proficiency in the English language (required) and Hausa (preferred).
Application Closing Date
Open till Filled.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in a Word - formatted single document to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Sorry the application deadline for this job has elapsed